CPU Usage issue

winslow33

Daemon Poster
I was recently given a Toshiba Satellite from a friend.
It was running Windows XP, slow as h*ll. Being that they had no antivirus, I assumed that was the source of the speed issues. I reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7. Installation seemed to take FOREVER.
Got it done, started it up, still slow. On a hunch, I checked the CPU and RAM usage. Much to my surprise, it claims the poor CPU is working at 100% !
That just makes no sence, it has a 1.50 Ghz processor, an 1GB of ram. Nothing great; but Windows 7 should be able to run just fine with that. Ive done it before on other laptops.
So, I shut the laptop down and restarted it about an hour later. The CPU works at about 3-20% useage for the first 10 or so minutes, then throttles up to 100% and doesnt come back down. Its not like im even doing anything demanding, that's just sitting on the desktop after a fresh install of Windows, no extra programs.
Any ideas?

Did you do a de-frag or run CC cleaner or something? Might still be stuff floating around after the reformat. Also a quick check for any new drivers, and a Double check on the temperatures?

I had a similar problem with a customers computer, and it would go up to 100% when on the web. CCcleaner cleared 500MB of rubbish, few adware and other things. That and a reinstall of java combined seemed to fix it.

I guess I wasnt thinking of the obvious before I jumped right into the software end of it..
Debris were keeping the fan from cooling off the heatsink...

Back
Top Bottom