Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Exclamation CPU usage 100%

hey ppl. Since yesterday my computer has slowed down drastically. I could play Half-life 2 without any slow down at all. Now i cant even run steam. The problem is tho that my cpu usage in windows explorer is 100% even after turning off any unnecessary processes. I heard something called spoolsv.exe or similar was causing the problem, so i ended that and still no improvement. The processes i am running at the mo are:

rundll32.exe x2 (think i should have 1...??)
SERVIC~1.EXE (this file i know is causing some problems however doesnt improve cpu usage)

svchost.exe (x6)
system idle process
the last 2 came up automatically and have been causing my comp to minimize when playin games in fullscreen but no improvement in cpu usage. Please help i think it is posy the spoolsv.exe file however i am unsure what to do, also heard something about active print jobs tho i didnt ask for any and i cant find them unless im doing it wrong.

cheers jon

jonworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

have you installed and new graphics drivers lately?

Into my arms, O Lord
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Baseband Member

yeah i bought a new card a few weeks ago but i had a problem on half-life 2 the other day and i figured it was the updated drivers, uninstalled them made no improvement so reinstalled. It was the SYSTEM~.EXE, LUCOMS~.EXE and AUPDATE.EXE which were causing the problems to that, however everytime i try and end them they come up auto and not in msconfig so cannot stop them. Are these new drivers causing the problem cos i didnt encounter any probs with em i only thought i did.

BTW the card i have is a MX 4000 pci i know its a s*** card but i got a dell dimension 2400 so couldnt get an agp card. I think its more likely the spoolsv.exe but not positive. cheers jon
Old 08-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Baseband Member
Default Re: CPU usage 100%

Hey ppl i fixed it i just used msconfig to stop spools starting up and everything seems to work fine. I dont understand though because i thought it had something to do with the printer but thats still workin