CPU types

derekjwhitten

Beta member
Hello.

I'm looking to get a new computer very soon, and have been looking through the Intel range. This is probably a very basic question...but I was wondering what the main difference is between Intel Core, Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron.

I will mainly be using the computer for games and video editing. I was looking at getting the Core-2 Quad Q6600, but wasn't sure if I should be considering the Pentium or Celeron ranges instead.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

The Q6600 is a great choice. The Pentium and Celeron lines are basically value processors for low budget computers. They won't do much for gaming / video editing.

Don't be put off by the Intel Pentium Dual core lineup though. The name is off putting but they are actually fully fledged Core 2 Duos with 1MB cache and can overclock as high as 3.6GHz.

y do so many people do that, ask there question and then bail

Who says i've bailed?? lol

Don't be put off by the Intel Pentium Dual core lineup though. The name is off putting but they are actually fully fledged Core 2 Duos with 1MB cache and can overclock as high as 3.6GHz.

What would you say is better?? 3.6GHz Duo or 2.6GHz Quad?

Also...In the case of the Q6600, is it 4 processors with a speed of 2.4Ghz each, or is their combined processing speed 2.4?? That's probably a silly question, but I'm a bit unsure about this.

Thanks again for all your help :)

The quad Q6700 has 4 cores each processing at 2.66. I would have to say the quad is better. It kinda depends what you are using your computer for.

The quad Q6700 has 4 cores each processing at 2.66. I would have to say the quad is better. It kinda depends what you are using your computer for.

games and video editing :p

c2d are good for the price aswell. my friends all have either x2's AMD dual cores and c2d Intels and they all perform great.

but mmy quaD rapesssss themm to pieces ;D

pentium dual core is a nice way of saying new generation celeron...

Back
Top Bottom