Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default CPU Temperature > 65 degrees :(

Hello,

I have a huge problem with my CPU temperatures. Even if I leave the computer off all night and turn it on in the morning, the temp rises to about 60 degrees in no time (this is not under load), and stays there. It gets even higher when it is under load. I thought the reading might be wrong but Speedfan and Everest both say the same thing.

My computer wasn't custom built, but I did put in 1 gb of new RAM and replaced the integrated graphics with a Geforce 6600GT
I have a 2.66ghz Celeron D CPU and the motherboard is an MSI 7071 (PM8M2-V) if that helps.

I have opened the case and made sure all my fans are running, which they are, and the temperature in my room is quite cold. My heatsink and CPU had new thermal paste put on them a few months back, and I just cleaned my heatsink and removed all the dust, and made sure I put it back in correctly.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get my temps lower?

Thank you.

Heres a screenshot of the temps too

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...epho/temps.jpg

nstepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: CPU Temperature > 65 degrees :(

Can you try SpeedFan and see what that says? I am very suspicious of the CPU temperature when it is idle. I do not feel like Everest is great with temperature readings sometimes. I have had it lie to me about my temps..

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

he has tried both. i would get another cooler put on it. 60C idle is way too high for a celeron. i doubt the temps are being reported wron. i would just spend the extra 20$ on a cooler rather than the 35$ on a new cpu when it gives out. high heat just wears a cpu a lot faster.
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Oh I didn't see that. Yeah, like Rudster said, grab a cooler. You can also get a good heatsink/fan and then never have to worry about CPU temps ever again.

Meanwhile you can do this. Take off the sides of the case, and just blow a fan directly into the computer. That should keep it cool. (Hopefully)
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
In Runtime

Alright then thanks heaps. Yeah I've been looking at new heatsinks cos I thought that might have been the problem, but how come the standard one isn't doing the job? I'm not too sure what sort of heatsink I'm after either or how much I should spend. I'm in Australia too so Newegg is out of the question lol. It's a socket LGA775 too
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
In Runtime

Lol sadly enough I have tried the fan blowing into the case thing.... It didn't work real well. Plus it's bloody cold enough in my room as it is..

Sorry I didn't know there was a difference between a heatsink and cooler..?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
Golden Master

Cooler and Heatsink are essentially the same thing. If you are looking for a heatsink and you do not mind spending some money, this is the one me and a lot of other people think is the best:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118223
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
In Runtime

That looks pretty awesome, and it should only be like AU$75. It says LGA775 and mentions pentium 4s specifically, but will it work with my Celeron? Also, how much do you think the temperature would drop by?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Golden Master

I believe that your Celeron D is for a 775 socket. I am not ENTIRELY sure though. Somebody should double check me.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
In Runtime

Yeah I'm positive it's a socket 775, but will all 775 heatsinks be compatible with all the different 775 processors?