Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #41
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
In regards to CPU temps, I've updated the Stickie in the Processor section. It has info on all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad. AMD Athlon X2 using Brisbane core (65nm) remain the same.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=44851
Cheers mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericf1993 View Post
yea i dont use one
OK, I had a disturbing vision there for a while that it was between the cpu and heatsink

Well if you wish to continue the next step in your cooling journey would be to address your case cooling. We know you have front, side and rear fans from previous posts but just what the fans are (size, cfm capacity, brand etc) still remains a mystery.

Realistically the effect you're trying to achieve is the maximum air flow though the case to achieve maximum cooling with the minimum amount of noise. A picture of the inside of the case and a description of the fans would be helpful at this stage.
__________________

__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #42
Daemon Poster
 
ericf1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 671
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
Cheers mate.

OK, I had a disturbing vision there for a while that it was between the cpu and heatsink

Well if you wish to continue the next step in your cooling journey would be to address your case cooling. We know you have front, side and rear fans from previous posts but just what the fans are (size, cfm capacity, brand etc) still remains a mystery.

Realistically the effect you're trying to achieve is the maximum air flow though the case to achieve maximum cooling with the minimum amount of noise. A picture of the inside of the case and a description of the fans would be helpful at this stage.
what did u mean by cfm capacity because all i know about a fan is its rpm, brand, and size cause im only a 14 yr old boy i know those two fans in the back are unbranded and i dont know the brand because it came from taiwan and i have no idea where it came from and sorry about the quality, i took it with my phone

[IMG][/IMG]


[IMG][/IMG]
__________________

ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #43
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericf1993 View Post
............ cause im only a 14 yr old boy
I'm impressed, my 16yo is still hesitant at handling the cpu/heatsink assembly so you're doing fine.

Looking at those pics it would seem you have ample case cooling, the wiring is reasonably tidy and would not appear to be hindering airflow. From your previous posts I gather you have the front fans as intake, the rear as exhaust and what did the side panel end up as?

In all reality, unless the AS5 application can be improved on and produce a result the only other alternatives would be a different cooler or a little more risky, lapping.

If you've got the time and supplies and you are inclined to, try reseating the cpu again, experiment a little, maybe more AS5, probably less. The thing to look at when you separate the cpu and heatsink is the way the paste has covered both surfaces.

edit: cfm = cubic feet per minute, how much air a fan moves, when buying a fan you look for a good cfm/db ratio (db = decibels) so you get a fan that moves the most air the quietest.
__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #44
Daemon Poster
 
ericf1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 671
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
I'm impressed, my 16yo is still hesitant at handling the cpu/heatsink assembly so you're doing fine.

Looking at those pics it would seem you have ample case cooling, the wiring is reasonably tidy and would not appear to be hindering airflow. From your previous posts I gather you have the front fans as intake, the rear as exhaust and what did the side panel end up as?

In all reality, unless the AS5 application can be improved on and produce a result the only other alternatives would be a different cooler or a little more risky, lapping.

If you've got the time and supplies and you are inclined to, try reseating the cpu again, experiment a little, maybe more AS5, probably less. The thing to look at when you separate the cpu and heatsink is the way the paste has covered both surfaces.

edit: cfm = cubic feet per minute, how much air a fan moves, when buying a fan you look for a good cfm/db ratio (db = decibels) so you get a fan that moves the most air the quietest.
o ok thanks

EDIT- so should i wait for the break in first ot see if anything happens?
ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #45
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericf1993 View Post
o ok thanks

EDIT- so should i wait for the break in first ot see if anything happens?
If you want to but realise you're only going to get five degrees or so improvement in a best case scenario, it's up to you, myself personally (because I still think the idle temp is too high) I'd reseat it now.
__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #46
Daemon Poster
 
ericf1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 671
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
If you want to but realise you're only going to get five degrees or so improvement in a best case scenario, it's up to you, myself personally (because I still think the idle temp is too high) I'd reseat it now.
what should the normal temp be?
ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #47
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

best case scenario with top of the line air cooling I'd be looking for ~40C or lower. If I was you I'd be happy with ~45C given that your cooler may not be the best cooling solution on the market.

Have a trial with the TIM and reseating, if there's going to be a difference worth noting it will be apparent immediately in the temperatures. Settling in will not bring miraculous temp drops, it may provide 2-3C on average so you'll know as soon as you boot up whether the new install temp is an improvement or not.
__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #48
Daemon Poster
 
ericf1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 671
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
best case scenario with top of the line air cooling I'd be looking for ~40C or lower. If I was you I'd be happy with ~45C given that your cooler may not be the best cooling solution on the market.

Have a trial with the TIM and reseating, if there's going to be a difference worth noting it will be apparent immediately in the temperatures. Settling in will not bring miraculous temp drops, it may provide 2-3C on average so you'll know as soon as you boot up whether the new install temp is an improvement or not.
i tried experimenting with it a lot of ways but its still at the same temps
ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #49
Fully Optimized
 
A True Folder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,789
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

It would then appear that you have reached (or nearly reached) your minimum temperature. You may get another couple of degrees with settling in as well but it looks as if you're as low as you can go with the hardware on hand.

A different cooler may perform better if you have the funds to try one.
__________________
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #50
Daemon Poster
 
ericf1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 671
Default Re: cpu temp too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
It would then appear that you have reached (or nearly reached) your minimum temperature. You may get another couple of degrees with settling in as well but it looks as if you're as low as you can go with the hardware on hand.

A different cooler may perform better if you have the funds to try one.
what do you recommend?
__________________

ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Avg | Help! »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0