Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #31
Fully Optimized

Default Re: cpu temp too high?

normally a side fan is an inlet as it feeds directly to the cpu cooler area

I still reckon those temps are highish but your pc is less likely to reset because of a thermal incident now

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:59 AM   #32
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericf1993 View Post
ok so apply it in the middle then put the heatsink and turn it clockwise/counterclockwise a few times and thats it?
i know this is what you guys were talking about yesterday but.... i am going to change my heatsink soon because i am still using the stock and wanna upgrade. but on what you guys said about the turning. i originally spread my paste, but i used arctic silver and that is the same thing this guy used.

anyways that stuff when i originally aplied it was so thick, will that really spread out over the chip enough. i can understand if that was normal past.

basically i'm loking if i should reaply some on when i change the heatsink

stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #33
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles View Post
i know this is what you guys were talking about yesterday but.... i am going to change my heatsink soon because i am still using the stock and wanna upgrade. but on what you guys said about the turning. i originally spread my paste, but i used arctic silver and that is the same thing this guy used.

anyways that stuff when i originally aplied it was so thick, will that really spread out over the chip enough. i can understand if that was normal past.

basically i'm loking if i should reaply some on when i change the heatsink
yea it does work really good. i just tried it and even tho it only went down alittle, it still went down
ericf1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #34
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
normally a side fan fan is an inlet as it feeds directly to the cpu cooler area

I still reckon those temps are highish but your pc is less likely to reset because of a thermal incident now
so thats normal for now until it breaks in rite?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #35
Baseband Member

i know this isn't my post so i'm not gonna side tract you from your main question of the original poster, but when i take off my old heatsink what is the sign that i should put on more thermal paste or leave it how it is

and put on the normal dime size worth??

or is it good practice to always put a little on because the heatsink is more than likely to pick some up with it plus it's been used for a while.
stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 AM   #36
Fully Optimized

Quote:
so thats normal for now until it breaks in rite?
Yep looks like it, you may get 3-4C more (if that) so unless your airflow is able to be improved (or you go for a different cooler) I guess it's going to be "normal". I'm a little concerned about the temperature probe, where exactly is it mounted?

Quote:
...basically i'm loking if i should reaply some on when i change the heatsink
You should clean off the old (I use a cotton bud, Q-Tip ? and isopropyl alcohol) and apply new every time you seperate the cpu and heatsink.

Quote:
i know this isn't my post so i'm not gonna side tract you from your main question of the original poster, but when i take off my old heatsink what is the sign that i should put on more thermal paste or leave it how it is

and put on the normal dime size worth??

or is it good practice to always put a little on because the heatsink is more than likely to pick some up with it plus it's been used for a while.
On page 1, post number 9 (click here) is a link to the instructions on how to apply AS5 to his cpu.

EDIT: For the benefit of others who may read this the application method linked earlier and above are for the OP's P4 cpu, the methods for dualcore and quadcore cpu's are different, you can navigate to them from the link below

LINK
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #37
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Yep looks like it, you may get 3-4C more (if that) so unless your airflow is able to be improved (or you go for a different cooler) I guess it's going to be "normal". I'm a little concerned about the temperature probe, where exactly is it mounted?

You should clean off the old (I use a cotton bud, Q-Tip ? and isopropyl alcohol) and apply new every time you seperate the cpu and heatsink.

On page 1, post number 9 (click here) is a link to the instructions on how to apply AS5 to his cpu.

EDIT: For the benefit of others who may read this the application method linked earlier and above are for the OP's P4 cpu, the methods for dualcore and quadcore cpu's are different, you can navigate to them from the link below

LINK
where exactly is what mounted? the heatsink? ill try to get a picture in for u
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

Quote:
where exactly is what mounted? the heatsink? ill try to get a picture in for u
The temperature probe or did/do you not use it??
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #39
Golden Master

In regards to CPU temps, I've updated the Stickie in the Processor section. It has info on all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad. AMD Athlon X2 using Brisbane core (65nm) remain the same.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=44851
Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #40
Daemon Poster

Quote:
The temperature probe or did/do you not use it??
yea i dont use one

« Avg | Help! »