Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Default cpu temp

my intel core i7 930 heats upto 70 degrees c. mb temp 52 degrees. i have a cooler master elite 335 chassis with 550 W psu. do i need to have another front or rear fan.
__________________

anuragtimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: cpu temp

Use Real Temp to measure the temps.

You need to get fresh air into the case for the HSF, chipset and graphics card and you will also need adequate exhausting as well.

I wouldn't bother with the side fans/duct on that case. Just run a nice fan or two on the front of the case and an exhaust on the rear.
__________________

__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default Re: cpu temp

I've been using "speedfan" for years, another excellent utility for measuring CPP temp. (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)

What fans are you using? Something the ones supplied by the case manufacturer default ones aren't particularly good ;P

I looked up the specs for the case and it doesn't have many fans really. If i'm honest its not the ideal case for that kins of CPU, and indeed PC. For an i7 you'd be much better off with something like a Coolmaster HAF X or and Antec 1200. What heatsink are you using btw? That makes a massive difference.
roridude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: cpu temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by roridude View Post
I've been using "speedfan" for years, another excellent utility for measuring CPP temp. (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)
I don't recommend using Speedfan to monitor temps on an i7 CPU. It's just too complicated and might need setting up before you can use it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roridude View Post
What fans are you using? Something the ones supplied by the case manufacturer default ones aren't particularly good ;P
They might be nosier than decent after market fans but they are usually adequate for cooling non-overclocked rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roridude View Post
I looked up the specs for the case and it doesn't have many fans really. If i'm honest its not the ideal case for that kins of CPU, and indeed PC. For an i7 you'd be much better off with something like a Coolmaster HAF X or and Antec 1200. What heatsink are you using btw? That makes a massive difference.
Again the case is fine for non-overclocked rigs and even if the OP did decide to OC one nice intake and exhaust fan with a nice heatsink and fan will be fine.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: cpu temp

The basic rule of thumb for air cooling is to have the same number of intake and exhaust fans. You need to have plenty of airflow inside the case so your cpu fan can blow it onto the processor.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default Re: cpu temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
I don't recommend using Speedfan to monitor temps on an i7 CPU. It's just too complicated and might need setting up before you can use it properly.
Speedfan is not at all complicated, download and it does everything. Been using it for years for testing set-ups.

With regards to the case, yes his case may be sufficient but you get a far better product lifetime span by using something like an antec 1200 than the coolmaster one he's using. Also, the antec 1200 is not that noisy at all, even with the default high-performance fans.
roridude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
tj107us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 332
Default Re: cpu temp

Yeah i had the same problem of my CPU getting too hot. Id play runescape and the temp would reach 84 degrees C,so i got the Cooler Master 212 Plus and did a prime 95 test at 100% CPU useage and it dont get over 51 degree C. So you might want to look into that cooler cause it is a good one. I just put mine on today and man i love it!!!! Hope this helps
tj107us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 732
Default Re: cpu temp

The 212+ is an amazing cooler for the price. And I'd go for the haf x instead of a 1200
__________________
My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: cpu temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
The basic rule of thumb for air cooling is to have the same number of intake and exhaust fans. You need to have plenty of airflow inside the case so your cpu fan can blow it onto the processor.
This, at least. Although I like to have slightly more exhaust than intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragtimothy View Post
my intel core i7 930 heats upto 70 degrees c. mb temp 52 degrees. i have a cooler master elite 335 chassis with 550 W psu. do i need to have another front or rear fan.
Was you stressing the rig to get these temps?
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: cpu temp

Hardware Monitor is also a good one as well.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
__________________

__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0