Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default CPU Speed Error

I've been having this problem for about 2 months now and would appreciate ANY input about a possible solution or way of diagnosing the problem.

When I start my computer on a cold boot, there are no beeps and my computer just sits there with my monitor in stand-by mode. I have waited upwards of 10 minutes with nothing happening. At this point, I hold the power button and turn the computer off. When I restart, I get kicked into the BIOS and it tells me that there is a CPU speed error. When I exit out of the BIOS, I have to wait another 6-7 minutes before the computer loads Windows and starts up. Once I have started up, under Settings/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/System, I notice several errors showing "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, is not ready for access yet". More alarmingly, I notice under my Settings/Control Panel/System,

Another thing I have noticed is that the computer is telling me that my processor is only 1.99 GHZ for some reason. I am currently running a AMD 2400XP+ which is suppose to read as 2.0 GHZ.

Is the BIOS telling me that there is a CPU Speed error because my BIOS is showing my processor as "2000 mhz" while my System settings is showing 1.99 ? I don't understand why the system is showing 1.99 GHZ as the processor. I am using a ASUS A7V8X as my motherboard.

wpooh888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to wolfinstinct Send a message via MSN to wolfinstinct Send a message via Yahoo to wolfinstinct
Default Re: CPU Speed Error

My proccessor is supposed to be 4.0GHZ, but reads as 3.99, so I don't think there is a problem there.
I don't really know about the rest.

wolfinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

Well the 1.99 GHz is probably a more accurate clockspeed for your processor. The BIOS is probably just rounding up so I doubt the problem is there. Nothing seems out of the ordinary as far as that point goes. But with all honesty, i have no idea what that problem could be. I have never heard of such a thing happening.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Beta Member

I just don't know if the disk error in the Event Viewer is where the root of the problem is. Or if the problems is a result of the CPU Speed error which shows up in the BIOS. After every cold boot, there are 4 of those Disk Error msg.'s in the Event Viewer, I'm assuming 1 for each drive that I have. Internal 80 GB Maxtor, LG CD Burner, LG DVD Burner & my 80GB external. I've played around with removing my drives and every combination I change to still has the same problem. I've tried replacing the battery supply without any help. So that's why I'm at a lost.
wpooh888 is offline   Reply With Quote