CPU randomly spiking in temp, and overheating

eamike261

Beta member
I've had an i5-750 for about 3 months with after market cooling and OC to 3.5ghz. It has been completely fine, idles at 30, stress test at 60, and on avg video games at 40-50.

Last night my computer just shut off, obviously over heating. So I started checking my temps again and it still idles at 30-35 but it just randomly spikes up to 50 (and during the few seconds spike the computer is insanely slow), no weird processes running, just the basics. So...my question is, where to begin troubleshooting? Unless someone knows exactly whats wrong?

Power. Always check your power first. You can't troubleshoot anything else without knowing for certain what the power supply is doing since that's really where it all starts.

This is how it breaks down:

Power Supply
RAM
Motherboard
Hard Drive

That's what you should be checking, in that order, 99% of the time.

In the case of the power supply since it's first, what kind of PSU is it? What brand? How many watts? What kind of amps is it rated for on each of the rails (+3.3, +5, +12, etc)

Come back with that info and we can go from there.

PSU is OCZ Stealth XStream 2
600W
+3.3v = 25A
+5v = 25A
+12v = 18A
-12V = .8A

The PSU is as new as the Processor, same with the RAM, MOBO, and SSD. By the way I cannot get it to overheat with a stress test, it just seems to be having these weird spikes (if they're even a bad thing...)

Odd spikes every now and then aren't a big deal, and CPU temps on the things you're stressing it out on sound fine, so I wouldn't worry about that as the issue.

I'm not going to say your OCZ is a bad power supply, but I will say that I have heard some things lately from my contacts and friends who have tried OCZ units and have experienced similar problems. FYI.

A system that just suddenly powers off is not always overheating.

Since you're sure that the power supply is ok, and that the motherboard is too (from the sounds of it, it probably is) then the next most logical course is to test the memory. Grab a copy of Memtest x86 and run that on your system for a few passes and make sure that your RAM is in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom