CPU Overheating

obetskie1960

Solid State Member
I have a toshiba netbook NB255-N245 shutting down after 2 minutes or so due to overheating. The original cooling stuff of the CPU is thermal pad. I tried to replace with a new one but same thing happened. Now I am thinking of appying THERMAL PASTE instead of pad and put on top of the thermal paste a small size of METAL (something like copper shim) to fill the gap between heatsink and cpu. Is that possible?

I am afraid that if i do the above-mention method my motherboard will get shorted.

Pls check the attached photos for your reference. The photo on the left side is my CPU and heatsink. Photo on the right is the metal that i am going to cut to use it as shim. Take note of my heatsink it is not made of copper.

thank youIMG-6c88e82734d3a644540fe79a04774bd4-V.jpegIMG_20180816_205915.jpeg

It doesn't matter what you end up doing, you'll need paste, and this seems to be also the root cause of the issue.

Buy some paste, apply it and test the results. If this was to fail you could maybe put a copper plate under there. However, if you do that, you'll need to apply paste on top and under the plate, so whatever you do, first try using paste, and of that doesn't work then go nuts.

I will follow all your instructions but I just want to be sure if i cut a METAL and put on top of the cpu with thermal paste on top and under the metal does my motherboard will not get shorted. I just want to hear from you that my CPU will not get fried and no shorted motherboard will happen.

Sorry to bother you and thank you so much for your help

As long as there is no metal coming out of the processor's surface and touching the board, there is no way that it'll short. Also remember not to apply a lot of paste. The rule of thumb is to apply the size of a grain of rice.

So, bottom line, as long as the plate is the same size as the processor no short will occur.

You are welcome and good luck!

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

By the way, I forgot to mention that if the copper plate somehow gets out of the gap you are screwed, so make sure that if you go through with it (preferably you should try to avoid it), make sure it's secured in there.

Back
Top Bottom