CPU Overclock or Memory Timings?

Memphis`

In Runtime
I've just started to dabble in abit of overclocking, not got the best motherboard for it (Asus A8N-VM CSM) but I've managed to get my X2 4400+ from 2.2 to 2.4 Ghz. The only problem is for this to stay stable I've had to loosen my memory timings a little, now at 2.5-3-2-5 (2gig OCZ Platinum PC3200).
I was just wondering what would make the most difference, my cpu overclocked or the timings a little tighter? I've tried taking the cpu down to 2.3 but still wont post with the memory at what it used to be (2-3-2-5).

Just wish I had a motherboard that let me change voltages, looked everywhere for a s939 mATX board, just cant seem to find them in the UK anymore

I'd go for the cpu overclock. Timings are not that important, and you are also increasing the ram speed when oc'ing.

What i did was use everest benchmarks, test everythign b4 hand then again after stable overclock to see if the reduction in timings makes a huge difference. For me ive got mine pretty much maxed out timings and speed as its at ddr440 and its ok, ive been lucky as mine is value ram. But for me i found that if i went up to 2.55 i had to lowe the memory speed to 380ddr and then it wasnt worth it.

Back
Top Bottom