CPU not starting up - Just blinks

misterj

Beta member
I was playing my desktop yesterday and everything was fine. I shut down and went to sleep.
This morning, i switched it on and it just blinks. No sounds of the harddisk or fan. It doesn't load to windows and there is literally no activity.
When opened up the casing, the fans are not going and there's no activity or sounds from what i observed. :confused:

It can't be turned off with the on/off button but requires me switching off the power supply.

I naturally suspected it was the ram being too loose or something (i changed the ram 3weeks ago and it worked perfectly). So i went to tighten them (after switching off the main supply). After switching it back on, still nothing. Light blinks, fans not going, and no sounds. :(

Does anyone know what the problem COULD be? I'm no computer expert, so i was hoping some of you here can spot the problem.
Please, any input will be much appreciated.:D

hmm, thats weird, when you turn on your computer, how do you know that its on when the HDD and Fans arent moving?
Is this a custom built or is it a brand name?
might sound stupid, but do you see any display on the monitor?
When you press power, does everything turn on for about a sec then everything just shuts down, and you arent able to press power to see that again till you flip the switch and flip it back?
If it is, then its most likely the PSU (Power Supply Unit)

FYI - CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a component of a Computer, a lot of people makes this mistake, even me back then.

What is this blinking that you're seeing? You mean a cursor on the display? or the LED lights on the front of the case?
Usually when a computer doesn't respond to holding the power button down for 5 seconds, it's a faulty motherboard.

Re: COmputer not starting up - Just blinks

Oh haha i thought they could be used interchangeably.

There's nothing on the monitor

The computer doesn't do anything at all (no sudden shutdown or loading of windows), other than light up the light at the front of the case.
When its off, usually there's no light. I'm talking about the light that stays on when you 'on' your computer. But when i switch it on today, instead of the usual 'light stay on', it started blinking periodically (once every 5seconds? as if it's on standby).

Now after i switch off the power supply and back on, it immediately starts the 'blinking', without me touching the on/off button.

Btw, this is a lenovo? I'm not sure of the exact model.:p

huh...
well im stoked.. never had, heard, or seen this problem before...

Edit - when the light blinks, hold the power button for 10-15 seconds, and see what it does, if that doesnt work, then unplug it for awhile then plug it back in and see how that works, and if you are using those power surge things, unplug it and try plugging it into the wall.
If none of those works, then it could either be the board or the PSU. See if you can get a PSU from someone you know, and put it into your system and see how that goes, and if you still face the same problem.... then it looks like its your motherboard.

those are the answers i got from google.

You mean fans don't run, but still power lights are on?
realy strange..

try an other vga card too.
Unplugg hdd any any other thing that is not needed.

mmm.. You can try to remove the small battery on the mobo, and re-inserting it.

Allso, if its an asus mobo, some of them have BIOS flash in a small socket.
I happen to know they sometimes move a bit, and FLASH is not recognised than. Just apply no-too-brutal but confident pressure, and try again.

what else it could be.. power supply should be o.k... See if the PSU fan is working or not. If not, then replace the psu.

If Yours internal speaker / buzzer connected to the mobo, describe how it beeps when You try to turn things on.

Post here when You done all this.

i dont think its the video card problem, if it were then the computer should start just fine with no display (fans turning/HDD running)
I think to clear the BIOS (remove the quarter size battery) you have to remove it for a good 10 minutes just to clear it. I dont think taking it out and putting it back do much.
i dont think he has an internal speaker since it seems like you either have to buy your own, or get a case that comes with one, and he said no sound, so i am assuming he isnt getting any post beeps.

I googled the problem, and evey body that had this problem was either a PSU or the MOBO.

i know too those are the mostly common problems, but even I saw vga card doing things like this.

well.. buzzers are comeing with the mobo these days, cases don't need them.
its realy just a cheap buzzer sold in any electronics shop for a few cents, LOL...

Is there any light on the Mobo? usualy theres a little light on the motherboard. Take a look and see.

Im willing to bet its the PSU. Try to get one from a friend. Or maybe a local computer shop will let you test it real quick.

You mean fans don't run, but still power lights are on?
realy strange..

try an other vga card too.
Unplugg hdd any any other thing that is not needed.

mmm.. You can try to remove the small battery on the mobo, and re-inserting it.

Allso, if its an asus mobo, some of them have BIOS flash in a small socket.
I happen to know they sometimes move a bit, and FLASH is not recognised than. Just apply no-too-brutal but confident pressure, and try again.

what else it could be.. power supply should be o.k... See if the PSU fan is working or not. If not, then replace the psu.

If Yours internal speaker / buzzer connected to the mobo, describe how it beeps when You try to turn things on..

Post here when You done all this.

I dont see how a VGA card has anything to do with this. Theres no power at all.

vga cards can do stupid things.
I had the same simpthones with an msi kt4 ultra and an msi gf440mx back then when I had it.

out of nowhere no output, nothing spinning, only power led was on.

The card did work on other mobo. but not mine.
or other via based mobo.

for a good time it did work flawlessly.

POST allso checks VGA card.
sometimes POST is halted, I dunno the reason for that. It just gets stuck.
and sometimes even earlyer, even before bringing cpu on.

but yes, likely it will be a psu/mobo problem.

Back
Top Bottom