cpu help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I need help what is the BUS speed meens?
I thought I did know BUS 1,800 MHz is how fast the CPU can send and get Data from the system BUS
But then what is this speed right after it 3,600 MTps
Model
AD785ZWCGHBOX
Socket Type
AM 2. +
C.P.U Type
A.M.D Athlon 64 X 2. 7850
C.P.U Cores
Dual
L 3. Cache
2. MB
BUS Speed
1,800 MHz 3,600 MTps
C.P.U Speed
2.80 GHz

Well the FSB(front side bus) is the rate at which the cpu communicates with the northbridge chipset. Its actually 3,600 MT/s which is Mega Transfers Per Second. A measurement of bus and channel speed in millions of "effective" cycles per second. Also written as "MT/s," it is a rating of the actual, delivered speed rather than the frequency of the clock. For example, if timing is derived from both the rising and falling edges of the cycle rather than one complete cycle, a 400 MHz clock yields 800 MT/sec

Basically its a like saying 1 ft per second, is 12 inches per second, just an alternative measure of bus speeds. Keep in mind you dont actually have an FSB which may be the confusing factor, the 1,800mhz is basically comparing it to if it had a FSB, but AMD and Higher end Intel CPUS use a "HyperTransportation" system which is a quicker point to point system. So if you had an "FSB" It would basically be at say 1800mhz, But you have a Hyper Transportation System that xfers at 3,600 MT/s(mega). Now the new i7 Intel processors do 6.4 GT/s(giga transfers

OK I think I am getting it now.

AMDs conect direcly to RAM they don't go through Northbridge anymore to talk.

But my Motherboard still has a Northbridge so is my PCI e slot still connected to the Northbridge and the AMD still have to go to the Northbridge to talk to the PCi E

Not really a BUS on an AMD platform. It's called the HyperTransport and its the high-speed wide-lane two-way connection from the CPU to the Northbridge. 1,800 MHz being the operating speed of the HT and 3,600 MT/s being the transfer rate.

The CPU communicates directly with the RAM and Northbridge.

The Northbridge then connects to the PCIE slots and to the Southbridge.

OK thanks I new the Northbridge still was connected to the CPU and the Southbridge.

But can you tell me what you meen wen you ssay the CPU is connected to the Northbridge by Hypertransport??

I meen I gather since Data can be sent and Retreaved at the same time that the BUS connecting the CPU to the Northbridge is Bigger and Wider but how is this diferant then just a normale BUS that connects the CPU to the Northbridge and over time they made it wider and wider and wider???

The Hypertransport link on AMD platforms, similar to the QPI interface on the Intel X58 platforms, is different to the 'Front-Side Bus' in other systems.

The conventional Bus link has its limitations compaired to the HyperTransport link when connecting major components, the CPU-Northbridge.

Back
Top Bottom