Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default CPU heatsinks and swapping out the fans

So it looks like I am going with an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan set-up and not a liquid cooling set-up.

I'm looking @ all the options of fans out there. LED. NON - LED etc...

Heres my question?
If I were to purchase a aftermarket CPU cooling unit like ( just for example ) some type of cooler master, and Deep cool etc.... Is it possible to replace the fans they came with, with other fans from another company as long as they are the same size?

For example I buy the CM 212-EVO but want LED fans. Can I just swap the fans for LED fans?

I look @ the db reading on all the aftermarket CPU heatsink fans and they are all over the board. If I were to replace the fan it came with, with a separate fan that has a lower db reading what that work? And would that decrease the db then?

frldyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: CPU heatsinks and swapping out the fans

The answer your first question if you can replace the fan on that Hyper Evo, YES you can. I will also quote: "Utilize the included brackets to quickly add or remove fans for upgrades, replacement, or maintenance." Just make sure you buy the right size fan, as you can get anything from 80mm - 200mm. That fan on the Heatsink is 120mm, so make sure that is the size fan you would buy.

Secondly, reducing DB really depends on the fan you get. The Db numbers you get from the listing page ( newegg-amazon-ebay ) are for the particular fan it comes with. If you buy a different fan, if the DB numbers are lower on the new fan then it will be quieter.

Now personally, I wouldn't concentrate on LED's. When I got my water cooler, it came with just a stock corsair fan, I switched that out for a Cougar Vortex HDB, which is a really great fan. Hope this helps

Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
NikonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Wizard of Wires

I use the Cougar Vortex fans also. 2 for internal circulation, 3 exhaust, and 2 intake. I also have the CM Hyper 212 EVO with the stock fan on the exhaust side. The tape is to block off the back intake and holes not needed for proper air flow. Air comes in the from and out the top and back. My baby sits not 4 feet from me and with the front door shut I don't hear it running.

Backside

Keeping your wiring neat will help with cooling. Keep it tidy and out of the way. Cable straps are my friend.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
In Runtime

Nice system seti! That's a good idea with the tape.
Asus USB 3.0 Mobo - 16Gb DDr3 1866mhz Ram - AMD FX 6300 Hexa core 4.0Ghx OC - Corsair CX600M PSU - Corsair H80i Cooler - Gigabyte Gefore GT 730 2Gb GDDr5 - WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm - WD 360gb 5200rpm Backup drive.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Be sure to measure how much space you have for a cooler before you order. I hit this issue with an old case I had. I got the new cooler and then discovered that I could not put the side back on.

My fan configuration is set up with two front 120mm's as intake, a side 120mm as intake, a rear 120mm as exhaust, and a top 140mm as exhaust. I was torn between having positive or negative air pressure in my case but the side fan pushes cool air directly into my graphics card so I went with positive.
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I have a corsair 760t

Its a pretty big case.
I would assume it would have enough space for most 120 heatsinks?
frldyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by frldyz View Post
I have a corsair 760t

Its a pretty big case.
I would assume it would have enough space for most 120 heatsinks?
Yes it will fit. You only run into a problem when you get those small cheaper cases. Should be A ok
Old 03-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
Be sure to measure how much space you have for a cooler before you order. I hit this issue with an old case I had. I got the new cooler and then discovered that I could not put the side back on.

Yeah I had the same problem with my hyper 212 evo but was no problem just a quick fix with the hammer and all was good

Sent from my VOYAGER2 DG310 using Computer Forums mobile app
rowcon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Wizard of Wires

You wanna 'splain that one to me? I think I missed something there...

Well my case is a Antec P280. You could park a semi in there.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote