CPU and Heatsink,Glued together?!?!?

Ok,So i want to lap my CPU,but the thermal paste seems to have 'glued' the heatsink and the CPU Together,i have tried prying them apart gently with a screwdrive,but it didn't budge,What should i do?

not sure what lapping means but.
there are 2 options where you wont/slightly damage your cpu when taking it apart from the heatsink.
what you do is stick it back into the mobo, turn it on, and wait for about 10 minute where the cpu wouldve gotten hot, and the thermal paste wouldve gotten soft, then take it apart slowely.
second option is to heat up the heatsink with a lighter or some sort, and heat it till it becomes easier to take it apart.
i wouldnt suggest you doing it if you have no idea what you are doing.
not sure if these are the right thing to say though....

The 64 X2s shut themselves down when they get too hot. As soon as you remove the heatsink, the CPU will shut down, causing no damage.

Would that damage the CPU?

No.

The trick is to use the heat from the dryer to heat the heatshink itself. And this should be easy if it's well finned as you just aim the dryer so the hot air is running through the heatsink towards the area where the HS meets the CPU. Your not heating the CPU itself doing it this way. You just need to get the point-of-contact up to temperature to free it up.

I've used this method to remove Chipset Heatsinks and heat sinks of GPU's. They tend to use a sticky thermal paste that bonds itself, after time, without the need for extra fittings and to be honest wasn't needed on CPU's.

I always just put the heatsink and stuck cpu on their side, put some isopropyl alcohol between the cpu and the heatsink, let it settle for a minute or so while gravity takes effect and spreads it a little and then just pull it off...

Run the computer so it heats up,

Then take the CPU/Heatsink off, and twist the cpu off of the heatsink. (by hand)

If it really is stuck, use a large pair of pliers (the adjustable ones) and twist it off (dont squeeze the handles tight though)

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom