Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default CPU fan Problem

Hello, I am building a budget comp for my grandfather and I bought an AMD Athlon 4000+ with a Gigabyte mobo and I am using the stock heatsink. Now, after I press the power button and have everything plugged in, the heatsink goes on for about 10 seconds then stops. I have only left the PC on for about 20 seconds after the fan stops in fear of damaging the cpu from its heat.

I have never built a PC with an AMD processor in it, I was wondering if this has happened to someone else or is this common problem or it does it like this purposly. Thanks!

Edit: I also have tried another well functioning heatsink with this motherboard, so I know that the problem is not the heatsink. It has to be either coming from the motherboard or lack of power from the PSU (which is unlikly because it is a 400watt Rosewill PSU.

browserjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: CPU fan Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by browserjoe View Post
Hello, I am building a budget comp for my grandfather and I bought an AMD Athlon 4000+ with a Gigabyte mobo and I am using the stock heatsink. Now, after I press the power button and have everything plugged in, the heatsink goes on for about 10 seconds then stops. I have only left the PC on for about 20 seconds after the fan stops in fear of damaging the cpu from its heat.

I have never built a PC with an AMD processor in it, I was wondering if this has happened to someone else or is this common problem or it does it like this purposly. Thanks!

Edit: I also have tried another well functioning heatsink with this motherboard, so I know that the problem is not the heatsink. It has to be either coming from the motherboard or lack of power from the PSU (which is unlikly because it is a 400watt Rosewill PSU.
Couple of things off the top of my head:
1. Check the fan settings in the BIOS
2. Move the fan power connector to a different connector on the motherboard
3. Ensure that your PSU has enough wattage to keep it going (switch PSUs with one you know works to see).
colorblindjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote