CPU cooler push pins

worshipme

Golden Master
I'm currently installing a CPU fan with push pins, I'm not sure if I've got them on properly, only I can jiggle the fan a bit but I can't pull it off, can anyone tell how secure the fan should be when properly installed?

if i understand what you mean, then it should be secure enough so that it doesnt move around a lot, although being just a bit jiggly could cause vibration i wouldnt really be worried about it - the fan wont fly off or anything :)

are these the push-pins like this ?
tr-lga775kit.jpg

If they are, then yes they should be very secure. Id recommend undoing them then trying again. You should hear a "click" when they do push in properly.

Also, when you put them in put one corner first then do the opposite corner (diagonally) and not the one next to it.

edit: to undo them, just get a flat-head screwdriver and turn the little black bits in the direction the arrow shows (counter-clockwise on mine) and they should come out easily.

i had the same problem.... i think.... not to long ago.i knew 3 of the pins were definately in but was pretty confident the 4th wasn't because it wiggled. i was able to use the computer no problems. but i made sure i downloaded a program to monitor my temps and found out that the temps were dangerousely high.

my advice would be to moniter the temps if something doesn't look right that will be your first sign that it wasn't installed right. you can always take it off and put it back on at any time.

I've never had a problem mounting my stock heatsink. I don't see why so many people complain about them.

if you ever look at your motherboard with the intel stock cooler on, youll see where it bends :)

its designed to bend a certain amount though...

are these the push-pins like this ?
tr-lga775kit.jpg

If they are, then yes they should be very secure. Id recommend undoing them then trying again. You should hear a "click" when they do push in properly.

Also, when you put them in put one corner first then do the opposite corner (diagonally) and not the one next to it.

edit: to undo them, just get a flat-head screwdriver and turn the little black bits in the direction the arrow shows (counter-clockwise on mine) and they should come out easily.

Yes, they're exactly like that. I put it back on again and I think it's OK. BTW a bit of thermal compound was squashed out should a clean it up or should it be fine?

Back
Top Bottom