Which CPU Cooler for 4Ghz OC?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I'm in the market for a great CPU cooler for my new setup i7 920 CPU & P6T Deluxe v2 MOBO.

I will be OC this system to a 4Ghz (at least I will try) so the cooler must be good. The only requirement I have is for it not to be over 160.5 mm in height as my Cosmos S case has a 200mm fan on the side that will restrict anything higher. The 160.5mm is a height of a True 120 so I drought there will be problems as most of them I believe don't exceed this number. If however there is something out there that is truly great but is over 160.5mm please name it I might end up doing some moding to the fan to accommodate & the cooler need to be socket 1366 competable (duhhhh)

Anything with in $100 range works for me. From my 30 min researching these are the 3 that I am looking at:

Thermalright IFX-14
Prolimatech Megahalems
Ultra-120 Extreme RT Rev.C

Thanks

I use the Zalman CNPS 9900 for my Phenom X4 940. I got it to 4Ghz easy, and it kept the CPU around 40-42c idle, and 55-60 gaming with ambient temps around 77 F. I tested with COD 4, Ghostbusters, FEAR 2, and Section 8 on max settings, with AA. And its less the 60USD on Newegg now I think.

Hello,

I'm in the market for a great CPU cooler for my new setup i7 920 CPU & P6T Deluxe v2 MOBO.

I will be OC this system to a 4Ghz (at least I will try) so the cooler must be good. The only requirement I have is for it not to be over 160.5 mm in height as my Cosmos S case has a 200mm fan on the side that will restrict anything higher. The 160.5mm is a height of a True 120 so I drought there will be problems as most of them I believe don't exceed this number. If however there is something out there that is truly great but is over 160.5mm please name it I might end up doing some moding to the fan to accommodate & the cooler need to be socket 1366 competable (duhhhh)

Anything with in $100 range works for me. From my 30 min researching these are the 3 that I am looking at:

Thermalright IFX-14
Prolimatech Megahalems
Ultra-120 Extreme RT Rev.C

Thanks

The Thermalright TRUE Black with the best fan (142CFM) on it comes out to ~$100 after S&H; and its second to none except the copper version.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't ever consider using a 142 CFM fan on a 24/7 PC unless you put it on a fan controller or are at least partially deaf.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't ever consider using a 142 CFM fan on a 24/7 PC unless you put it on a fan controller or are at least partially deaf.

True enough. There's also a SilenX 90 CFM fan with 18 dBA for a little bit more $$$. Third of the noise with still good airflow. It's the one I'm getting.

Just so you know, that rating is complete BS. No 120MM fan on the market will hit 90 CFM @ 18 dBA. Also, Silenx fans are rather sub-par. From the reviews I've seen, they don't perform well.

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with the "Prolimatech Megahalems"

All I need now is select a good Fan to go with it. I have 7 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fans in my PC and they been working really good for me. here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

Its been more then a year since I did any good research on fans and would appreciate ur help. It needs to be able to push a lot of air and yet not to be to noise.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom