Cpu being overheated

Harsh Pranami

Baseband Member
Hi friends.Yesterday i opened my pc case for installing the front panel usb.Then i saw the dust settled on the cpu fan and cleaned it.After that my computer has not been able to boot and it switches off automatically after 10 sec.I somehow managed to enter bios and saw that my cpu temperature rose from 60 C to 87 C (celsius).Till when i remained in bios the computer didn't switch off but immediately after exiting it did.After that i cleaned the fan heatsink again and applied a new thermal paste but the same thing is happening. Please help.

And yes the rpm of cpu fan is about 2755.Is this normal?

How did you clean the CPU fan? Were you grounded when you were working with the case open? Perhaps you accidentally discharged some static electricity and damaged either the CPU or something on the motherboard. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally unplug any connectors or drop any screws that may have rolled underneath the motherboard.

I cleaned it using cotton cloth.At this point i didn't remove the heatsink,i just cleaned it from top.No i was not grounded.Please help.

But why the cpu is being overheated even after good cleaning and applying a new thermal paste?

It's possible that your CPU may have been zapped with ESD and that could have possibly caused a short which would explain why it's overheating. Just a theory, though...

But bro in this whole procedure the cpu was not even touched.Even the base of the heatsink was not touched which rests on the cpu.So it couldn't be the electrostatic discharge on the cpu.And it couldn't be the heatsink because the fan is running at 2755.So why it is being overheated?Please help bro

Update: The temperature of cpu increases steadily even if i open the sides of the case.Leave the case it seems that even if i pump icy cool air the temperature increase will be the same.What's happening?

Id say its something to do with the heatsink, remove it again, clean the old paste from both the heatsink and cpu, then re apply new paste to the cpu (justtt the cpu, not both),watch some videos of how to apply the paste correctly on youtube. and when you put the heatsink back on top of the cpu, dont screw it on full force.

If you wanna do everything 'proper', I think theres also a certain way of cleaning the old paste off, something along the lines of you need to use almost pure alcohol.

Heatsink possibly came loose while you were cleaning it. I'd remove it, clean off the old thermal paste and apply new, then install the heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom