Coworker's computer in endless reboot loop

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Just got to work this morning to discover my coworker's computer doing a scandisk (she has XP) and finding a good amount of errors. She then tried booting into windows, but it appears that the computer has entered an endless reboot loop. The computer will start up, get to the "Start Normally/Safe Mode/Etc" screen, then begin loading Windows XP (boot logo screen). It then automatically restarts.

I'm trying to troubleshoot it a little but corporate is being a PITA and not letting me mess with the computer too much. Any ideas what it may be? I'm thinking its a hard drive issue. I might go into setup and disable auto restart.

Any advice appreciated.

I remember there used to be virus's around that did this, and there was no way to fix it because you couldn't boot.

The "Tech" advisor of the office is on his way here. It's pretty hilarious, actually. He was on speaker and they told him that I suggested a hard drive problem, and he chuckled and said "It's just the new video card I installed spazzing out."

....right. :rolleyes:

The "Tech" advisor of the office is on his way here. It's pretty hilarious, actually. He was on speaker and they told him that I suggested a hard drive problem, and he chuckled and said "It's just the new video card I installed spazzing out."

....right. :rolleyes:

Hah. Why would a video card cause reboots? Although I guess anything is sorta possible...

Hah. Why would a video card cause reboots? Although I guess anything is sorta possible...

There is no "new" video card. He's just talking out of his ;) .

I just switched out her tower with another in the office, so she's up and running on the network again. I'm 99% sure it was a hard drive failure.

I've had a bad video card cause reboots before. It's rare, but it definitely happens.

she might have a missing or corrupt system file, try reinstalling windows over to rewrite these files. with this i mean install it over so u dont lose anything in the hard drive and everything remains the same (you may try the windows fix option)... at many times this fixes such problem. if it doesnt work, you should plug that hard drive onto another computer run a virusscan and backup all the files, and then reformat and reinstall windows from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom