Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
In Runtime
Default A couple questions

1. Which will run games quicker - a 48x cd-rom or a 16x dvd-rom drive? I was never sure if it even made a difference.

2. If I plan to burn DVDs, should I get dual drives (i.e., to just put the original in the top drive, and the blank in the bottom) to copy a DVD right to another? Or do you need to write them to HD first anyway?

3. I hear stuff about cards and whatnot burning out. Is this only from overclocking, or do they burn out eventually anyway?

4. What can burn out, exactly? Video & sound cards?

5. Do video cards burn out from playing games too often, or just too much at all over time?

Legion Kreinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to money_man
Default Re: A couple questions

1. the 16x dvd rom is what it burns at, it probably reads at 48x. but the 48x will read the disc faster if its a game that needs the disc inserted.

2. im wondering this same question, but im going by which would be easier, im thinking of installing a dvd-rom to just copy movies straight over.

3. they will eventually die anyway but not before they wont play anything because they'll be about 10 years old anyway. overclocking lowers a video cards life but still keeps it about 5 years, which most ppl upgrade by then anyway. although too big of an overclock can kill a card fast.

4. never heard of a sound card burning out, although maybe with a power surge. video cards will burn out because of extreme heat from overclocking, or just super old.

5. lol a video card wont burn out from playing games unless its getting too hot, usually from overclocking or a faulty card
AMD 3000+ @ 2.25
Corsair Twinx 1024mb 2x512mb XMS
MSI 6600GT's SLIed @ 565/1100
Neo 4 Platinum SLI Mobo
3dmark03- 15,542
3dmark05- 7081
money_man is offline   Reply With Quote