couple questions

here_is_gone

In Runtime
ok first of all, is it possible to get viruses while your computer is off? my dad wants to leave his laptop on all the time because he says that its possible to get viruses when its off. secondly, is it bad to leave a laptop on all the time? will it hurt the battery at all? and finally, my dads automatic updates for his norton antivirus is enabled in the administrative account, but when he tries to enable it on his limited user account, it says he doesnt have the administrative privledges or something like that.
by the way, he has a dell inspiron 6000, hes running XP pro w/ service pack 2

thanks

Haha, no. You cannot get a virus if your computer is off. The only way to get one is if your computer is on. And no, it isn't bad to leave a laptop on all the time. Obviously some parts might wear out a bit faster, but it probably does little, if any, damage. I keep my laptop on pretty much constantly with the battery in it, and I haven't had any problems with it after at least a year of doing this.

As for the last part, I'm not sure there's a question there. I'm guessing you want to enable automatic updates on the limited account. What you can do is make it an administrative account, enable automatic updates, then make it a limited account again. Hope this helps!

spank_fusion said:
Haha, no. You cannot get a virus if your computer is off. The only way to get one is if your computer is on. And no, it isn't bad to leave a laptop on all the time. Obviously some parts might wear out a bit faster, but it probably does little, if any, damage. I keep my laptop on pretty much constantly with the battery in it, and I haven't had any problems with it after at least a year of doing this.

As for the last part, I'm not sure there's a question there. I'm guessing you want to enable automatic updates on the limited account. What you can do is make it an administrative account, enable automatic updates, then make it a limited account again. Hope this helps!

yeah thanks, that does help

1) it is not possible to get viruses unless ur connected to the internet
2)it is not good to leave the laptop on all the time because it will decrease its life span
3)u can enable the anti virus unless ur admin

abowlofrice said:
1) it is not possible to get viruses unless ur connected to the internet
First of all, I already answered the question accurately to his satisfaction. Why the second set of answers? Anyway, your first point isn't correct. It's quite possible to become infected with a virus without being connected to the internet. One example is trying to install a program that you think is legitimate but is actually a virus. You could also be sent a virus by somebody on your network, but the network doesn't have to necessarily be connected to the internet. Just a couple examples.

spank_fusion said:
First of all, I already answered the question accurately to his satisfaction. Why the second set of answers? Anyway, your first point isn't correct. It's quite possible to become infected with a virus without being connected to the internet. One example is trying to install a program that you think is legitimate but is actually a virus. You could also be sent a virus by somebody on your network, but the network doesn't have to necessarily be connected to the internet. Just a couple examples.

he means by getting a virus, not installing a virus that u thought was a program. he meant like spyware kind of things

abowlofrice said:
he means by getting a virus, not installing a virus that u thought was a program. he meant like spyware kind of things
Ummm.... what exactly are you reading? I don't see that specified anywhere in his original post.

Back
Top Bottom