Couple of Intel questions

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So i got an E7200 for $100. So far its great, and fast.
Not sure if it is the CPU being faster than my old AMD processor (which it is) or is that i never used a fast computer for over a month, and been using an laptop.

So i got a few questions.

1. I ran CPU-Z and Everest, and so far, my ram isnt running at 667mhz as what everybody said it would. I didnt overclocked anything yet. I think my ram is running at 400mhz, according to CPU-Z, which is pretty much 800mhz.
So am i actually being bottlenecked, and that CPU-Z and everest is wrong? or am i using my ram to its max speed?

2. other post....
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=76847

i might have more questions later.
Thanks in advance

Exactly what I thought. I think CPU-Z and Everest are just getting information from the RAM. So they're just getting what you're supposed speed is. Download memtest and that should tell you exactly what it is. It could also be that you're looking under the wrong tab, I don't know.

There are just so many things in this that make me ask , WTF

Why would you want to underclock 800MHz memory to 667MHz??

Or alternatively, who told you you would be able to overclock DDR2 800MHz to 1333MHz?

333*2=667
400*2=800
667*2=1333

You "should" be able to overclock the memory to ~900MHz, maybe higher depending on the modules.

When in cpu-z you should be looking at the memory tab to see actual memory speed, voltages and timings.

If you look in the SPD tab you be able to see the JEDEC standard the memory SPD table is programmed to.

im not saying that i want to overclock or underclock.
From what i have been told was that if you have an Intel CPU, you will run at 667mhz.
But it doesnt seem like i am running 667mhz, which is what makes me into wondering.

When you look at the memory tab in CPU-Z, multiply that number by 2 and you get your RAM speed.

im not saying that i want to overclock or underclock.
From what i have been told was that if you have an Intel CPU, you will run at 667mhz.But it doesnt seem like i am running 667mhz, which is what makes me into wondering.
Mate, someone telling you this has no idea what they are talking about or have explained themselves very poorly.

Intel utilises FSB via the Northbridge for memory control unlike AMD who have the memory controller "on die" (as will intel with nehalem aka i7)

To run at DDR2 667MHz your Bus speed would have to be set to 333MHz in the bios (quad pumped = 1333MHz Rated FSB)

Currently I would assume it is set to 400MHz if it is 1:1 FSB: DRAM ratio, ergo DDR2 800MHz (quad pumped = 1600MHz Rated FSB)

Your memory is DDR (Double Data Rate) so with 400Mhz set in the bios you'll get DDR2 800MHz

Perhaps the confusion has arisen between the Bus Speed and the Rated FSB somewhere along the line.

There is no way you're going to be able to run a Bus speed of 667MHz (hell the world record is 734MHz or thereabouts done with LN2 sub zero cooling) as it would give a 1:1 DDR rate of 1333MHz and a Rated FSB of 2668MHz.

DDR 1333MHz is in the realms of DDR3 modules such as the ones I have.

this is what it says on Everest
CPU Clock 2533.3MHz (Original: 2533MHz)
CPU Multiplier 9.5x
CPU FSB 266.7 MHz (Original: 266Mhz)
Memory Bus 400.0 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 3:2

Im guessing im not being bottlenecked?

Back
Top Bottom