Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Could someone explain SLI to me?

Can someone explain what SLI is? I don't know much about it other than it has to do with having 2 NVidia graphics cards and running multiple monitors maybe?

I thought that any video card with 2 outputs could multimonitor though so how is it different?

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Default Re: Could someone explain SLI to me?

You're right, any card with two 'outs' can do that, but thats not the primary feature of SLI. Infact technically its quite the opposite - to utilize 2 cards into a single output.

You'd have two cards, thats twice as much punch!

The short answer is it increases your Graphics processing power & is nothing to do with dual display (not primarily anyway).

Nvidia use SLI, ATI use crossfire ... its only a name but the concept is the same.

Its a huge topic with many opinions and views, whats best, is it worth it, yada yada yada. Do a google search on SLI versus crossfire, by the time you've read over all the arguments you'll be well up to speed on utilizing two cards.

LostDog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog4 View Post
You're right, any card with two 'outs' can do that, but thats not the primary feature of SLI. Infact technically its quite the opposite - to utilize 2 cards into a single output.

Nope... You don't just multiply by two. The only time it is good to get 2 cards in Sli over getting one more powerful one is when you've got the best cards on the market and the only way to improve is another of the same card.

The short answer is it increases your Graphics processing power & is nothing to do with dual display (not primarily anyway).

Nvidia use SLI, ATI use crossfire ... its only a name but the concept is the same.

Its a huge topic with many opinions and views, whats best, is it worth it, yada yada yada. Do a google search on SLI versus crossfire, by the time you've read over all the arguments you'll be well up to speed on utilizing two cards.
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog4 View Post

Basically right, if you add what Whyfly mentioned.

The increase in performance from adding additional cards isn't a 100% increase per card. The more card you add, the less you get out of each.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Golden Master

♠whyfly was right..
he said

"you don't just multiply by two"
Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

^^
Yep
4 gigs DDR2 1066 RAM... 640 gig hard drive
Gigabyte Ud4P-MA790x
Whyfly?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Everything you need to know about SLI: SLI Zone
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

in addition to not multiplying the performance by two, some cards just don't scale well in SLI while others do scale well, different models don't all scale the same amount when SLIed...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

So it uses the 2 cards to 'multiply' the graphic processing power. But it really only helps when you have the 'best' cards on the market. But since most likely a new card comes out regularly, it's really not the best practice right?

I guess I understand now. Thanks for the help.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

It's not exactly like what has been said before. SLI stands for scalable link interface. It can be used in two modes. SFR and AFR.

SFR: One card only renders a half of the screen.
AFR: One card works on the current frame and the second will work on the upcoming one.

It should be used when you get a card i.e. GTX 280. Soon after the 295 comes out. You can't exactly afford to purchase the card at it's hefty price. So you purchase another GTX 280 at a lower price to compete with the 295. It doesn't exactly "multiply." The way the game is coded takes a huge toll on performance. Many of the newer games can utilize multi-GPU setups. You can get anywhere from a 0%-100% increase in performance depending solely on the card and the engines utilization of multi card setups.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote