Corrupted by scandisk!?!?

PiersG

Beta member
I have recently bought a Fujitsu 40gb usb external harddrive to store my photos and music on - I'm a photography student so take my work seriously, and this lil gadget came as a blessing! There was about 4000 shots on there all in jpeg format, and stupidly I'd only backed up the old ones on cd..

Last week my computer (a hp pavilion a405.uk) started having problems opening the hard drive folders and froze whenever i asked it to.. so i ran a scan disk of the hard drive on boot up. This amazingly took three days....and now I've noticed that about 5% of my photos have been corrupted, but in quite a quirky weird way..
Imagine an A4 peice of paper in front of you, which you've cut into three strips horizontally (all different widths) then imagine you've moved all three strips left or right, so that the edges no longer line up.. but then imagine the parts which now 'overlap' the edge of the photo have come in from the other side.. normally this would make me grit my teeth and try and find a way round this but some of the corrupt shots are kinda important so i'm unwilling to tamper!!!

Please Please Please Please help me!!!!!!
Thanks guys,
Piers

You have a clever machine to freeze when you ask it to. Mine ignores me completely.

Get a hard disk utility from Fujitsu to see if your drive is well and truly borked. Oh, and remember to back up any data you have. Also make sure your Power Supply is powering the components of your system with enough juice.

The odd thing is is that the hard drive itself is working completely normally now - all music files are playing perfectly, and most of the photos are ok - it seems to only have effected files that the scan disk said it was 'replacing bad sectors' of.
Have tried re-running scan disk program again - to see if it could fix any file errors, and this time it took 5 minutes but had no effect!

Perhaps the scandisk got interrupted by something. Glad everything's back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom