core2 quad vs i7

i just put together an i7 940 rig through suggestions from members here... and its stupid scary fast... i tested it with a scene i rendered in 3d at school last semester... at school usint quad 2 core extremes and 4gb of ram it took about 2.5 - 4 minutes to render a single 4k pixel frame... with my new setup... 30 seconds on average... I had 3 frames in the 2.5 min range again but thats it... this thing is an animal!!

i just put together an i7 940 rig through suggestions from members here... and its stupid scary fast... i tested it with a scene i rendered in 3d at school last semester... at school usint quad 2 core extremes and 4gb of ram it took about 2.5 - 4 minutes to render a single 4k pixel frame... with my new setup... 30 seconds on average... I had 3 frames in the 2.5 min range again but thats it... this thing is an animal!!

What makes it so fast? I mean the frequency/speed is lower, but doesn't it have some other things in CPU that make it fast?

Do you think the AM3 would be better?

honestly, I dont know how it all works... I know that the program i use for 3d, Houdini 9.5, supports multi-threading. the way i understand the multi threading with the i7 is that there are basically 8 cores 4 physical and 4 virtual... but beyond that... i dont know what im talking about haha

It could have to do with that Admira, but it's also some because of the new architecture. I don't have the whole thing memorized, but one part that stood out to me was the quicker communication with memory. Before, information had to travel from the CPU to the northbridge, where the memory controller was located, then to the actual memory. Now, the memory controller is integrated to the CPU, so it only has to go to the memory. Quicker.

The new QPI bus is also faster than it's FSB counterpart. And lastly, the shared L3 cache.

Here's a more in-depth read.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but it will tell you what you need to know.

Looks like I'm the only one getting AM3...

I'm rooting for the AM3 here too!
Plus, I have to get a bunch of money so I'm hoping AMD get's their act together with the new socket.

Btw, I looked in to AM3 a while ago and I am not liking the looks of it AT ALL!
The Deneb core is going to be the first AMD CPU that uses the AM3 socket and DDR3, but so far, It doesn't look that great.
Their also coming out with a AM2+ version of the chip, but it's worse that the AM3 one.

I'm hoping AMD can come up with a better architecture or an innovation. I don't want Intel to become a monopoly. Like Adam Smith noted in his famous economy piece, competition is key.

I don't what the wait to be a waste as muz said.

Can I get a list of the specs like a table of all the Deneb ones?
Why don't you think they're doing well?

Sorry, just that I haven't been reading the news lately.

I don't what the wait to be a waste as muz said.

Can I get a list of the specs like a table of all the Deneb ones?
Why don't you think they're doing well?

Sorry, just that I haven't been reading the news lately.
An0nym0us is CF's resident Intel fanboy. :D

Back
Top Bottom