core2 quad vs i7

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
have been looking at getting a new CPU today and noticed that most (if not none) of the core2 quad's on newegg DO NOT support hyperthreading BUT the few i7's they had, all supported it.

how important is hyperthreading these days? i remember it was much talked about when there were only single cores.

not important at all. if you have 4 cores then there is no need to pretend you have more.

Although im sure it has a slight advantage, just get the i7 if you can afford it :)

was just looking at prices on newegg and might hold off for a little bit longer, besides, will need new MOBO and RAM to go with it :( but yeah, i7 is looking sweet!

can hopefully get everything by end of summer 2009 :)

Depends on the application, HT can give a great boost in some apps, but 0 in others.

it would be sweet if future apps came prepared for multiple cores AND hyper threading!!

especially high end games and apps like PS and LR

it would be sweet if future apps came prepared for multiple cores AND hyper threading!!

Wouldn't that be one in the same? All hyper-threading really does is make the programs think there are more cores, so if something is made for multi-core I'd think it'd be automatically be made for hyper-threading.

Wouldn't that be one in the same? All hyper-threading really does is make the programs think there are more cores, so if something is made for multi-core I'd think it'd be automatically be made for hyper-threading.

although i'm no expert but lets say one core is not being totally used, then that core could be used for hyper threading.

does that make sense?

but yeah, i know what u mean, multiple cores does away with the need for hyper threading unless of course the idea is to squeeze every little bit out like in my above example.

Back
Top Bottom