Core i7 overclock temps

r_moore04

Daemon Poster
whats the best temps i should be getting for overclocking the i7 2600k to 4.4ghz, core voltage is 1.28, and on load iv been getting 73c, but idle is 30c

mobo is: Asus P8P67 PRO
mem is: Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB
cpu cooler is:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
case: Antec Dark Fleet Series DF85

load sounds about right, especially with that heatsink - it's not a bad heatsink for stock cooling, but you might want to consider a beefier heatsink to keep it a tad cooler if you're concerned (those i7's can handle it though, they don't start throttling down until they hit 100C). I'm a big fan of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but I know some other folks here have coolers they can recommend as well.

well the problem with the P8P67 is that there isnt much room to play with when having a big cpu cooler, the Freezer 7 Pro fan goes over my DIMM_A1 slot so my memory is in A2 and B2, iv heard quite alot about the Hyper 212+ with the i7, and most of it is good, just wish i got them instead of the freezer 7 pro, so 73c on load is a good overclock temp?

The Hyper 212 should fit your board and case just fine, FYI.

And yes, 73C is perfectly respectable on air. If you tidy up some cabling (if necessary) and make sure that the hot air is getting exhausted fine, you might be able to shave a couple C off of it without having to change out the HSF. Also, if it's a new install on the heatsink recently, the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) may need to finish setting up, in which temps can drop a little further.

Depending on how long you've had your processor, Id reapply the thermal paste; clean fans; and do some cable management.

its was a new build last week, and the freezer 7 pro came with thermal paste on, the best i can do is a little cable management, the case is new, along with the case fans, which theres 8 of them, so because its a new build should i leave it running for about a week at stock speed before i overclock to let the TIM setup?

Actually, power cycling the system helps the TIM set up faster if it's a thermal paste. If it's a pad, it shouldn't matter.

TIM sets up most effectively after several warm and cool cycles, allows it to "set"

Back
Top Bottom