Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Core 2 vs dual core

is there a differance?
dual cores is truly 100% 2 cores on one chip
and core 2 is a step down?
so is it just one core that is programed or made in a certain way?

the names suggest that they are the same thing
but different physically....... right?
__________________

disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

huh
no dual core is a term used to describe the number of cores a processor has
and core 2 is the name of an architecture

dual core isnt a product name owned by any company whereas intel have rights to the core 2 name
__________________

__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
dual core isnt a product name owned by any company
It is, and isn't. While yes, dual core describes the processor as having two physical processing units (cores), there is such a thing as a Pentium Dual Core (which is not to be confused with the Pentium D). It all depends on what you are talking about.

In terms of what is better, the Pentium Dual Core is basicaly the cheap version of a Core 2 Duo like the Celeron was the cheap version of the Pentium 4
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
In terms of what is better, the Pentium Dual Core is basicaly the cheap version of a Core 2 Duo like the Celeron was the cheap version of the Pentium 4
It isn't a cheapened version of the Core 2 Duo.

The Pentium D was originally manufactured with the NetBurst microarchitecture, and was the first dual core ever released by Intel.

The Core 2 Duo is based off of the Core microarchitecture. They're two completely different processors.

That's neither here nor there, since the Pentium D was succeeded by the Core 2 Duo.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
It isn't a cheapened version of the Core 2 Duo.

The Pentium D was originally manufactured with the NetBurst microarchitecture, and was the first dual core ever released by Intel.

The Core 2 Duo is based off of the Core microarchitecture. They're two completely different processors.

That's neither here nor there, since the Pentium D was succeeded by the Core 2 Duo.
your getting mixed up Pentium D and Pentium Dual core are two completely different processors
As you said pentium D was made with the netburst architecture which was simmilar to P4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_d
whereas the Intel Pentium Dual core is made from what is essentially a stripped down core 2 duo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Dual_Core
and there are now actually celeron dual cores as well
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Thanks for the correction.

Intel really needs to release better branding.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

dont mention it
confused me when they first released intel pentium dual core

thats one thing amd have going for them right now
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Intel really needs to release better branding.
Or do they? Some people may confuse the Pentium Dual Core with the terrible Netburst architecture, and therefore pay more and get a C2D, and Intel gets more money.

Nvidia has terrible branding. Who would have guessed the 8800GT 512MB is faster than an 8800GTS 640MB??
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
Some people may confuse the Pentium Dual Core with the terrible Netburst architecture, and therefore pay more and get a C2D, and Intel gets more money.
I'll say. It's like I'm running a heater under my desk.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Daemon Poster
 
disturbed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,154
Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: Core 2 vs dual core

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
It is, and isn't. While yes, dual core describes the processor as having two physical processing units (cores), there is such a thing as a Pentium Dual Core (which is not to be confused with the Pentium D). It all depends on what you are talking about.

In terms of what is better, the Pentium Dual Core is basicaly the cheap version of a Core 2 Duo like the Celeron was the cheap version of the Pentium 4
a cheap version that came before the core 2 duo?
was it their baby step to see if they could actually get 2 cores on one chip
and to get the architecture correct?
__________________

disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0