** Core 2 Duo....will history repeat itself???

Dbserver

Solid State Member
Back in the mid 90's, the Pentuim came out, P, PII, PIII then P4

Within two years, everything got outdated way too fast, then finally P4
was in the market for quiet some time.

The Question is, and before I get screwed again, would history repeat itself, and the so called now Core 2 Duo, would be way outdated within a year or may be less?????:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

All feedback and info is greatly appreciated.
:cool:

The day the processor arrives at your door is the day it instantly becomes outdated.

Thats how every product is in the hardware world. If you buy a high end Core 2 Duo or Quad you should be ok for at least a few years (though products will be released that are better).

It will become outdated. AMD's Phenom is already gaining fast from higher clock speeds and the B3 stepping. The 9850 already matches and even beats the Q6600 for only $225 from higher clock, and Nehalem and the 45nm Phenom are coming on Q3 08 and Q1 09 respectively.

The Core 2 Duo is already outdated. 1600Mhz FSB quad cores are the new high.

The FSB is outdated. Hypertransport is the future. Nehalem will work similarly to AMD CPUs with a built-in memory controller and hypertransport between the cores.

Does it really matter?
Purchase what you can afford and what will meet your needs. Forget about what's labeled as out-dated or state of the art...........the brand new stuff is just an over-priced and over-hyped status thing.

I thank you all for sharing your thoughts and information.

And yes, it does matter, as I do not need to get screwed.

My point is, will it be Obsolete, in a matter of months, like "Pentuim I"
became obsolete in 6 months.

Does it really matter?
Purchase what you can afford and what will meet your needs. Forget about what's labeled as out-dated or state of the art...........the brand new stuff is just an over-priced and over-hyped status thing.

Nehalem will bo out in Q1 2009, so you have a bit of time. 45nm Phenoms will be out in Q3/Q4 2008, and Bulldozer will expected in Q3 2009.

I thank you all for sharing your thoughts and information.

And yes, it does matter, as I do not need to get screwed.

Pentium 1's did not become obsolete in 6 months. They were months short having a 6 year life. And it was not until the Pentium 4 that the architecture had any significant changes. And after the P4, intel based it's new design (Core Duo) off of the original Pentium design.

Back
Top Bottom