Core 2 Duo in Laptops?

G9

Daemon Poster
I'm seeing Core 2 Duo in Laptops these days... these processors are the same as the ones that are going in the desktops, right? I'm assuming it's because of the incredibly low temperatures the Core 2 Duo's emit...

Hmm... only thing now that stands in the laptops' way of replacing desktops is hdd space. :p

G9 said:
I'm seeing Core 2 Duo in Laptops these days... these processors are the same as the ones that are going in the desktops, right? I'm assuming it's because of the incredibly low temperatures the Core 2 Duo's emit...

Yes, except they're slightly modified to produce less heat and use less power (though the Core 2 Duo still has a higher TDP than the Core Duo) while hopefully maintaining similar performance.

TDP...?

The only thing that keeps me from buying a Core 2 Duo laptop is the price and the storage.

Thermal Design Power. So if the CPU's TDP is 30W, it means it can dissapate heat generated by 30W without exceeding the maximum temperature for that part (dissapation of heat can be through passive heat solutions or powered heat solutions like fans). It also means that 30W is the maxiumum amount of power the CPU would draw when running real applications. Of course, manufacturers have different definitions of TDP, as it can fluctuate.

Here is a good article from SilentPCReview (SPCR for short) on TDP. :)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article169-page3.html

Yeah... perpendicular drives, right? I think that's the technology Seagate's new 750GB hdd uses... they're planning on using it for all of their drives.

Back
Top Bottom