Copying files in DOS C drive to a usb hard drive

BossChase

Baseband Member
Hi

I have a vista laptop that's crashed and I need to send it back to HP to have them repair it but before I do I have some files that I really need to get off of it.

Is there any way I can copy the c drive onto a usb hard drive in dos?

Thanks so much for the help.

P.S. The hard drive in the laptop has different plugs than my desktop and I cant get it out so different than the other thread I have.

you can copy in dos, but pretty much only to a floppy disc or another hard drive.

you could try booting with a linux CD to get a desktop, google for damn small linux and you'll find a fairly neat little boot CD.

the other things that you can do is...

get a portable hdd caddy that'll let you put the laptop drive into the little caddy and connect via USB, or you could get an adapter to allow you to plug the 2.5" laptop hard drive into the standard PC connector.

I don't know if your laptop HDD is IDE or SATA.

the adapters I have are IDE and usually cost about £5.

I bought a portable drive caddy, (I forget which make) this accepts either IDE or SATA laptop drives.

personally I'd probably advise that you went his route as it's easier to use, and more useful in the long run, (assuming that you want a portable drive you could then just buy a laptop HDD.

Back
Top Bottom