Is Copying DVDs Legal (Definitely Not a Continuation of the 'Other DVD Thread')

catalyst1

BSOD
Is it? Who knows?! Well, I do. It is. What do you guys think?

P.S. Since this thread is a different question, it can't be a continuation, so don't get your pantyhose in a bunch.

The original thread asked how to do it. I'm asking if it's legal (I'm genuinely curious). Now, it is legal as long as you own an original of the DVD, and you don't illegally distribute any copies. If anyone can prove otherwise, please post evidence, because I really want to know.

I'm not basing anything on this, but consider something: why would burning programs like Nero allow you to copy DVDs if it was illegal? If copying DVDs was totally illegal, then Nero would be illegal, but it's not. Therefore, there must be some case where copying a DVD is legal.

EDIT>> When I say evidence, I mean real evidence. Not some guy ranting on his blog about how DVD copying should be legal. Multiple references are preferable.

extract taken from computer act!ve magazine:
subject was a recent court ruling in Australia.

"the ruling will also not stop sites from offering unlimited downloads for a small fee then sending people to file-sharing sitres said de Reya. he also warned we may only be seeing the start of the clamp downs on copying music and movies.
De Reya added that the entertainment industry is likely to target file-sharing media such as mp3 players DVD REWRITERS, discs and the SOFTWARE FOR BURNING FILES.
some eu countries such as France already levy a charge on blank discs and hardware for copyright purposes he said.

it sounds like you can't do it. if they are clamping down on dvd rw it must be illegal, or is it?
woz

It is legal to copy a DVD, as in the data on the disc, if thats a game say, you are allowed to make a backup for personal use.

It's not legal to copy a DVD film, since to do that you have to break the coding on the disc, and thats bypassing copyright safeguards,

(see the link in the previous thread about this)

wozelbeak said:
it sounds like you can't do it. if they are clamping down on dvd rw it must be illegal, or is it?
woz

Hmmm, I donno. It doesn't say anything about its legalities - just that they're going after it. Hrmmm....

root said:
It is legal to copy a DVD, as in the data on the disc, if thats a game say, you are allowed to make a backup for personal use.

It's not legal to copy a DVD film, since to do that you have to break the coding on the disc, and thats bypassing copyright safeguards,

(see the link in the previous thread about this)

Need some evidence here.

The ability to create copies of the media you've purchased for personal use is a long-accepted facet of the fair-use doctrine in U.S. copyright law (at least, it used to be). However, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) states that it's illegal to break the CSS copy-protection mechanism employed by most commercial DVD movies. What does that mean? Most fair-use advocates say that the policy directly contradicts U.S. copyright law, but the DMCA seems to indicate that you cannot make a copy of a commercial DVD, even for personal use, and you certainly cannot give a copied DVD to anyone or watch copied DVD files on your computer. We assume that fair use will eventually catch up and be established as a safety valve for consumers (which has been the pattern with previous technologies, such as VHS), but for now, the territory is still uncertain and a bit dangerous.

EXTRACTED FROM HERE. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5128652.html
WOZ

Back
Top Bottom