Coputer doesn't see or recognize DVD or CD drivesm

Moronicus

Beta member
I have a Dell Dimension XPS, XPS Gen4, Pentium 3.6ghz, 3gb Ram, Windows XP Pro, service pack 2. I had a windows error and needed to repair the windows installation. Did that, and now it appears that I have lost my DVD and CD drives. The lights on the drives come on and all and they open when you press the button, but the computer doesn't see them. They don't show up under the device manager. Doesn't see them in the bios either. I've tried unplugging the ribbon cables from the drive and re-booting, and the computer sees that something is missing. Re-installed the cable and re-booted again, hoping that computer would think it's new hardware. No change. So I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! OH, my technical knowledge of computers is average at best. I mean, I know enough to be dangerous!! LOL LOL But if your suggestions are highly technical, I might need a more simple and easy explanation!!! LOL LOL Thank in advance!!

Odd but try this

Open cmd and type: Sfc /scannow

And try type chkdsk /f

sfc can take upto 20mins, chkdsk to. goodluck

If I was in your place i would go to the dell web site, put in your model # & download the drivers for your cd & dvd player. install those, and reboot to see if the computer recognizes the drives.

If I was in your place i would go to the dell web site, put in your model # & download the drivers for your cd & dvd player. install those, and reboot to see if the computer recognizes the drives.

Yes it could possible be this.. I was thinking it was but not sure because of the bios, it's odd, I'm so 100% sure I've had this problem before and it wasn't to hard to fix, but it's been along time since I can remember.

:) Thanks mixx for extra input, hope he gets it solved

I've had a problem similar to this where my virtual clonedrives and optical drives just randomly disable themselves on my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom