Cooler cleaned, PC broken

Tike

Solid State Member
Hello,

Recently, I built out my Processor fan cooler from Intel out to clean it. I also built out the graphics card to clean it but I actually aimed for the cooler. Now, after I cleaned it, I built it back in but every time I launch my computer, it goes on for 5 seconds and shuts itself down. I tried building the graphics card out and hooking my screen to the onboard-VGA connection. It stayed on for about 10 seconds and there was also a beep. I read somewhere that the power supply could be the problem and it's to weak, but that can't be since it worked before too. It could also be the cooler not being in a fixed position but I tried and a other component is in the way. Can anybody help me finding the problem?

Tike

Any time you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you need to clean the old thermal paste from both the CPU and the heatsink and apply new.

Are you sure the thermal compound was the only thing? Can't see how that has something to do with my computer not booting. I buyed some Thermal Compound and I will apply it soon.

Hi Tike,
It is certainly good practise everytiem your heatsink is removed from your CPU to re-apply new thermal paste, BUT it is not essentially I have done this several times without re-applying new thermal paste.

The worst case scenario is you will run a couple of C higher.

Can you look at removing your motherboard from your Case and seeing if any screws or anything has dropped underneath?

This is the exact same behaviour I had when my motherboard was shorting out against my case.

I looked but there weren't any screws. What does that have to do with my problem anyway, if I may ask?

If the screws have fell behind the motherboard there is a chance that the screw is touching two points on the board, meaning that they can shortout and your computer will be unable to boot.

Back
Top Bottom