Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Convince me to keep Ubuntu

I found myself switching the gui to XFCE. Simple and clean :P

I tried 7.10 when it released, but it didn't work. After the install it would refuse to boot, no matter what I tried. I eventually gave up and went back to XP. 7.04 worked fine.

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk View Post
I've never tried a Linux distro. so I installed Ubuntu today. I like it because It is fast and simple, it's also pleasing to the eye. The big list of free software was really cool also, but I still can't see why I would replace my xp partition with Ubuntu. I cannot install some of my favorite programs or games without wine. Is there some use for this os that I don't know about? I'll probably keep it for another week or so and see if it grows on me but is there any major reasons that I should keep it?
i completely agree
what can i do on ubuntu that i cant do on XP (thats important).
other tahn upgrade everything with one button, and customize the looks immensely. YES, sure, all the softwares free, that doesnt mean its good.

i could care less
XP runs mad fast on my machine, and all my software runs on it perfectly. Yes ubuntu uses less resources and uses my hardware more wisely, but iwth what? theres not too much software to use with it.

the only reason i think there is to use ubuntu is if ur PC is old, u can regain the functionality.

umakemebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
I personally never liked Ubuntu. Being that the menus are all on the top menu bar annoys me and it's something to get used to. I know I have a Mac and that's how it's setup, but I never use the menu on my Mac...
You can just run Kubuntu that is ubuntu with the KDE gui. That can be downloaded from the Ubuntu website. or by doing
Quote:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Try KDE I think that you will like it a lot more if you don't like the menus on the top.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by umakemebetter View Post
i completely agree
what can i do on ubuntu that i cant do on XP (thats important).
other tahn upgrade everything with one button, and customize the looks immensely. YES, sure, all the softwares free, that doesnt mean its good.

i could care less
XP runs mad fast on my machine, and all my software runs on it perfectly. Yes ubuntu uses less resources and uses my hardware more wisely, but iwth what? theres not too much software to use with it.

the only reason i think there is to use ubuntu is if ur PC is old, u can regain the functionality.
opinions are opinions. You clearly think windows is better, some people think linux is better. There are very few things that linux can't do, yet there are things that you can do with linux that windows can't do. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

For me, the advantages of using windows outweigh that of using linux.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
Jk
In Runtime

I'm going to try and find alternatives to the programs that I have on my xp partition. If I can I will probably use Ubuntu instead. I really only use xp for games and a little music making. I was looking for a good image burner for Ubuntu and I realized you just double click the image and it burns automatically, that was pretty cool. Anyways, I think I might keep it just to learn to use terminal since people usually use linux on xboxes and other things like that.

Does anyone know of any good sites that will show me the basics of Ubuntu? Such as how the filesystem folder is organized, how to edit the programs lists, just some basic stuff.

I miss my opty :c
Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Two words for you my friend: Compiz-Fusion.

That's just pretty though. It doesn't add any functionality...