Convince me to keep Ubuntu

Jk

In Runtime
I've never tried a Linux distro. so I installed Ubuntu today. I like it because It is fast and simple, it's also pleasing to the eye. The big list of free software was really cool also, but I still can't see why I would replace my xp partition with Ubuntu. I cannot install some of my favorite programs or games without wine. Is there some use for this os that I don't know about? I'll probably keep it for another week or so and see if it grows on me but is there any major reasons that I should keep it?

That looks awesome.

My main problem is my lack of linux knowledge. I would love to run this vs. XP on my Q6600 build, but the only thing holding me back is the lack of PnP of the OS.

I ran Unbuntu for a few weeks and was lost outside of surfing the web. :(

but is there any major reasons that I should keep it?
let's see

first of all, like you said it's fast and simple. Those two things alone make it a great os for everyday stuff. You also mentioned free software, and that is something HUGE. With linux there is free software for pretty much everything.

Also, it's open source. So the freedom you have when changing things is..well.. you can change EVERYTHING since you can freely access and modify the source code.

Then there is security. Let's face it, linux is probably the most secure OS in the world. Don't need to worry about getting a virus/spyware and, as proven by the pwn2own competition, ubuntu 7.10 it's safer than windows vista or mac OS X v10.5.
(source: http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/28/pwn-to-own-final-day-and-wrap-up )

Yes there are some problems with installing certain programs and games, but often you will find a (free) alternative for the program and most games work with wine. But there will be problems with games untill the game developers start to create games that are compatible with linux.

Would Linux be better for children or XP? I'm too familiar with Linux but from what I've read it's solid straight forward OS.

Would Linux be better for children or XP? I'm too familiar with Linux but from what I've read it's solid straight forward OS.

well, I'd definitely say both. Or if possible then linux + vista. For children it's always good to learn the basics of windows since windows is the most common OS. And vista being the newest one it would be ideal to learn to use it.

But if they use linux then they will learn all the tricks etc. And kids learn fast. So I'd definitely let them play around with linux to learn how to use it too. Most people say that linux is hard to use just because they have been using windows for 20 years so obviously they are already familiar with it.

The one thing I regret is not using linux earlier. Now it's feels hard to learn since I've been using windows so long.

I personally never liked Ubuntu. Being that the menus are all on the top menu bar annoys me and it's something to get used to. I know I have a Mac and that's how it's setup, but I never use the menu on my Mac...

I've heard Fedora Core and Ubuntu are the most stable linux distros, so I try Fedora Core and it isn't compatible with my graphics card or something...

PCLinuxOS and Freespire I have come to liked the most really. Just not enough to really install and use regularly.

Back
Top Bottom