Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Convert a tablet notebook's screen into something usable for a desktop?

First off, I CAN post pics of this, but I'm just wondering off the bat if it'd be possible to do this. I've got an old gateway laptop (not ancient, it's probably 4 years old?) but the motherboard went kaput (went through my friend's sister's 2 tours in Iraq, but is actually in pretty good condition! No scratches on the screen!). Anyways, I tore it down a few weeks ago. I'm left with everything usable (most likely) except the MB. So, I'm wondering, is it possible to somehow connect the screen up to a VGA or DVI cord? Or do tablet PC screens not work that? Hell, even if I can get it to work as JUST another screen, that'd be cool.

I can post pics of all the cables coming from the monitor. I'm assuming the actual picture travels through the ribbon cable.

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Convert a tablet notebook's screen into something usable for a desktop?

I think the controller chip for it(inverter?) is usually in the laptop somewhere, rather than in the lid itself. You'll need that.

Beyond that, no idea.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Omnicide now.

Default Re: Convert a tablet notebook's screen into something usable for a desktop?

I know you can swap pretty much any laptop LCD with any other laptop, as long as they have the same resolution.
If you have an old junker with no screen or a small screen or something, you could try it, and I know there is a program that extends the desktop over computers on a network (i'll try and find that now), If not, then i don't think there's much you can do.

maybe buy a junk laptop and make a picture frame also. That worked out pretty well for me.

EDIT: here ya go: http://www.maxivista.com/how.htm. I also checked and it is 100% compatible with WINE in case the laptop is too crappy to run windows.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Interesting. Hmm. I'll have to think about if I wanna do anything with it. Otherwise, I can just try to eBay it. It's a really nice looking screen, from all I can tell.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Omnicide now.

you prolly won't get much for it unless its a macbook or something (which i doubt)

do you know the resolution and size?

http://www.digitalview.com/controllers/csg.php If you enter the LCD model no. into here, it might have a controller for it, which I believe does exactly what you want.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Here are the specs on the tablet: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...08804sp2.shtml
Quote:
14-inch WXGA TFT Active Matrix Color Display

* Maximum resolution: 1280 768
* Maximum color depth: 32-bit (16.7 million colors)
* Brightness control
I take it, then, that the controller is on the motherboard (normally)?...and since my MB is fried this is why I *potentially* need a new controller?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Omnicide now.

I'm not exactly sure what that controller does, I just found a link to it in another forum after googling around for a while.

I would personally just try to find an old laptop with no lcd and use it to control yours, then use software to make it act as a monitor.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I might try to eBay it. Here's the link, though you have to be signed on to view completed listing. Two just sold for $90 each (free shipping). Because, don't forget, this is a tablet PC screen. You can write on it with an input pen. Even if I could get $70 out of it, I'd be happy. That's half way toward a new screen that I can use! Edit. Maybe it DIDN'T sell. I'm not sure. I can never figure them out...but still. Put it up for auction at $40 or $50, and see what happens. I mean, it didn't cost me anything. So any money on it is profit.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

probs with laptops is there is no output cable really..its just a ribon cable.. you could strip it and make some sketchy ass desktop monitor if you want. I did that with my old computer case, just had the monitor on the side of the case so i always had something to monitor my computer with... but that was a very sketchy mod if you ask me. colors were still all f'ed up and resolutions were screwed...

just ebay it..or send it my way :P

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

I've read before there's a way to do it that works, but it would probably take too much effort and cost too much to be worth it.

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote