to convert to ntfs or not to convert... that is the question :)

okay, so how do i reformat and reinstall windows exactly (without losing data)? and why is this better than converting? sorry i'm asking so many questions but i've never reformatted a drive before so i pretty much have no idea what i'm doing to be honest. and yeah i read that page you linked but it slipped my mind i apologize. i won't be buying a new drive anytime soon as i'm pretty stripped for cash, i'm sure we can all relate haha. or at least i hope so...

okay, so how do i reformat and reinstall windows exactly (without losing data)?
You can't unless you do a repair install which won't give you the option of file format e.g. FAT v NTFS
and why is this better than converting?
It isn't better if you wish to retain your data as you will need to delete it to format (except as above)
sorry i'm asking so many questions but i've never reformatted a drive before so i pretty much have no idea what i'm doing to be honest. and yeah i read that page you linked but it slipped my mind i apologize. i won't be buying a new drive anytime soon as i'm pretty stripped for cash, i'm sure we can all relate haha. or at least i hope so...
Questions are fine if you take notice of the answers ;)

There are two ways to do this.
1/. Convert

2/. Format

Convert will change your file system, unless there is a major catastrophe all your data and Windows operating system will be intact.

Format will mean the deletion and recreation of your partition, all data including your Windows operating system will be lost. You will need to reinstall everything.

ok sweet thanks man i think i know all i need to now and am just gonna go ahead with the conversion. i'll keep you posted on the results. thanks again!!!

Read and follow the instructions from Microsoft, on the page I linked, carefully, the process is easy if you do it correctly.

Microsoft website said:
To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

Good luck.

k so here i am again... i'm on my laptop this time... my power supply blew up mid conversion!!! :( haha no just kidding i ran the dos prompt and rebooted my computer and everything went smoothly :D yay! it did start up much slower than usual on reboot though, is that something i should be worried about? i mean is there the possibility of my computer actually running slower from now on having converted to ntfs :confused:

nope, it will just be "reorganising" itself after the reboot.

Reboot again, it should be back to normal.

Nothing to worry about in the end after all was there. ;)

Glad to see it worked for you.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom