Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Golden Master

Default Re: a continuing problem...

I was just about to suggest he should clear all the dust out.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

I guess I will try to dust it, but it hasn't been in operation that long since my brother got it. I had it for awhile, then I did some stuff with it, usually it wasn't powered on, just sitting around. HSF is only about a month old or so, the video card less than that, I don't thin problematic dust could accumulate that fast on that stuff. The case fan is new as well. Now I got the PSU with a 120mm fan on it that is also brand new. I guess it's worth a try though. The only things I can really do now is take out the wireless card and see if it fixes it, test the Celeron in it, or dust it, short of getting a new mobo.

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Now I took out the wireless card, it still restarted. Blew some of the dust out as best as I could, there wasn't much. I got my celeron and put it in in place of the P4. Now I have a thought that I might have screwed up the mobo trying to put on the HSF once b/c you gotta use pressure to get it on, but then I use it with the celeron and play Halo. When in game I push the HSF down some so the CPU doesn't overheat since I just put it on top. Well it restarted b/c I pressed down I think. I restart the PC and play Halo again. According to SpeedFan ATM it's running at 35C, no overheat, and it hasn't restarted yet. Now I really don't know what it is b/c i think the mobo is screwed up, yet it hasn't restarted with the Celeron. I'm going to put the P4 back in to see if it starts running correctly again... I just can't win at this...

Sorry for double post.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

I know it's a triple post, but another thing now...

I put the P4 in after successfully playing Halo for awhile without a restart with the Celeron. I get the P4 in and play it successfully without a restart as well. I leave it on all night and it never restarts. Then I get home and put the GFX card back in today and boot it while moving the tower around a bit. I attempt to play COD4 twice and it reboots both times.

I still think it's the mobo now, but I'm just seeing if anyone else's opinion is different, or if I should go with buying a new mobo for it. I'm just keeping the new PSU since it's a better brand anyway.