Constant Lock-ups

aowen416

Daemon Poster
Hi,

A while ago I was suffering from constant lock-ups and I thought it was simply due to overclocking (and the resulting CPU degeneration). However, since then I reverted back to the original clock on the CPU and it was running fine for a while....but, it started up again a week or two ago, so I reformatted and reinstalled Windows. It didn't fix the problem.

After rifling around for the culprit, it seems that when I disable my WiFi connection, the lock-ups stop. So I'm assuming that it has something to do with that, but am unsure how to solve the problem from there.

For reference, I'm using this WiFi adapter: http://www.encore-usa.com/product_item.php?region=us&bid=2&pgid=2&pid=269

Using Vista 64-bit...all other specs are in my signature.

P.S. I ran Prime95 for a while and it was perfectly stable, so I'm fairly certain it isn't the CPU.

Is the driver you're using certified by Microsoft? Dodgy drivers can cause these issues.

Failing that I'd run memtest as a matter of cause just to eliminate that from the equation. I'd also move the card to a different slot - have you got any other PCI devices in there that are definitely working fine?

PCI is fine. I've discovered the lock-ups only happen if I'm running uTorrent. So it's something to do with that...and after a few Google searches I've found others having the same problem, but no solution.

Any ideas?

Try limiting the number of connections or the maximum speed bittorrent can download at - you might also want to try changing to a different port in case that's the issue.

However, to me this sounds like a dodgy driver. As such my advice would be to email the manufacturer asking if this problem has been encountered before / a solution is available, and keeping a regular eye on their website for driver updates.

Try limiting the number of connections or the maximum speed bittorrent can download at - you might also want to try changing to a different port in case that's the issue.

However, to me this sounds like a dodgy driver. As such my advice would be to email the manufacturer asking if this problem has been encountered before / a solution is available, and keeping a regular eye on their website for driver updates.

sounds like a driver to me as well, try using utorrent with a wired connection and see if it happens, if not I'd say it's the driver for the wireless, try removing it (and everything that has to do with it, folders, etc.) and reinstalling it...

Back
Top Bottom