Conroe Strips AMD of Aquamark 3 world record

PerfectSK said:
Conroe definetely looks promising. However, I think the AM2 will be better by final release. I think you need different kind of motherboard for the Conroe chip, cuz the current 775 socket mobo's won't be able to support it.
No Socket T can support conroe. It's just the chipsets that dont support it.

PerfectSK said:
Conroe definetely looks promising. However, I think the AM2 will be better by final release. I think you need different kind of motherboard for the Conroe chip, cuz the current 775 socket mobo's won't be able to support it.

AM2 in it's inital release will blow. Even though I'll gain little or none performance increase from the transistion to DDR2, the architecture still remains the same. Same old Athlon 64's, same old Athlon FX's, same old Opterons and same old Athlon X2's, although the memory controllers are different in order to work with DDR2. Until AMD can release a completely new or slightly different architecture than the current K8, Intel's new Core Microarchitecture will completely blow them out of the water. Same with mobile...the Yonah might not have much on AMD's coming Turion X2, but watch out for the Merom core. It's one mighty beast. :D

Conroe works with the current Socket T/LGA 775, the only thing that's needed is a chipset revision and a BIOS update. Simple as that.

You need the 975x rev.304 board to run it. And so far, only Intel has started to ship the 975x "badaxe" boards.

Back
Top Bottom