Connecting my monitor to the CPU

George2002

Beta member
Just wondering about connecting my monitor to my CPU. I have the cable supplied by the manufacturer, but would a HDMI cable work better? I know diddly squat about hooking up this stuff, have always went by mfg instructions.

The HDMI cable has audio capabilities so if your monitor has speakers built in it'll work then. Without speakers it'll work as a DVI input.

VGA is an analog signal and is more susceptible to interference, while DVI is digital, and is not. Usually, you will not notice much of a difference in image quality between the two. Although in some cases I have noticed a marginal difference. If DVI is available, I use that. If only VGA is available, I don't worry about it.

I have heard that DVI might have some advantages such as higher refresh rates and such that would benefit gamers. But I don't have a source on that.

EDIT: sorry I was thinking of DVI, not HDMI. But essentially they are comparable as they are both digital signals that support high resolutions. But as celery said, HDMI can support audio. For a computer I would stick with DVI and for TV, use HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom