Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default connecting 4u raid racks?

how are raid racks connected to the server motherboard? are they connected by ethernet or external sas wires?

ServerMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: connecting 4u raid racks?

Can you explain more? I'm confused.

krone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy28092

most NAS servers like your talking about have motherboard built in so its already connected what exactly are you trying to do? it would be easier to help you if we had more info

SYSTEM:amd phenom II 955 BE, 4 gigs of DDR3 cas 6 RAM, ASUS m478t-e, OCZ vertex 2 80 gig SSD, 1.5TB western digital caviar black, seasonic 650 watt gold certified fully modular psu, 2x HD4870 in crossfire X, coolermater HAF932, coolermaster V6 cpu cooler
jeremy28092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Solid State Member

i am looking to run a large dating website and i want a bunch of arrays of hard drives to show up as one hard drive and have the website share the raid array with the operating system which will be suse linux enterprise server. i will have tape drives for backup and many server racks connected to make one giant server.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServerMaster View Post
i am looking to run a large dating website and i want a bunch of arrays of hard drives to show up as one hard drive and have the website share the raid array with the operating system which will be suse linux enterprise server. i will have tape drives for backup and many server racks connected to make one giant server.
If i get this right, you want each 4U rack, with multiple hard drives to show up as just one big hard drive for each 4U rack, then you want each of these 4U racks to then be clustered to again show up as one big hard drive on top of each 4U's individual raid making a giant single hard drive out of multiple raids for a dating website? If this is right may i ask why? Curious since there might be an easier way to accomplish this if it's only for a single website.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Solid State Member

yes or unless there is a way to have the server send data to a different array when the first array gets full. how do i do this.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
In Runtime

How much data are you talking about for a dating website? What in the world is going to use that much data? There's many programs that can handle this, but i'm still confused why such a website would even use that much.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Quite honestly... you're better off asking at a place like Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet for this one. There are many things that need to be considered, and the community over there is much more likely to be able to provide you with valid, definite advice. You should stick around here, for sure, and ask questions - but this particular one might be better for WHT.

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote