Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Connecting 2 computers?

I have 2 lower end computers, What would I be able to do if i connected both of them with an Ethernet cable?

Would there be any benefit other than being able to transfer files?

Toxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123

You can bridge the connection,You should be able to transfer files but I am not sure as I've never done it that way.

See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
In Runtime

To be honest I don't think you would get the benefits that you are after.

You could make a server client setup and share the work load that way. That might work.

Mother Board: GA-880GM-UD2H CPU: AMD PhenomII X4 965 3.4GHz(Stock) RAM: 16GB GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Mossiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
In Runtime
Default Re: Connecting 2 computers?

If I'm assuming correctly, you want to be able to combine these two lower end machines to make one better machine. Connecting them with an Ethernet cable wont do the trick. In reality, you can't really combine them unless they're identical hardware-wise (in which case I think you can make them into a cluster, but I'm not sure if you can do that with Windows or if it has to be a special Linux distro).

However what you could do is use both of them but for different tasks. For example, you could use one do more processor/memory intensive tasks (like rendering a video) and continue using the other for web browsing without the other tasks affecting it.

The problem with this is that you need space on your desk for two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice unless you set it up with a KVM switch to switch between the two machines.
Website/Blog: http://lhamil64.wordpress.com
lhamil64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Has already stated, you would get no benefit in regards to power from connecting them both together via Ethernet. And if you did want to connect them through Ethernet for file transfers etc you would probably be better going through a Switch/Router/Hub anyway. Otherwise you would probably need a cross-over cable to get them to communicate seeing as they are older machines.
Intel i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz//Asus P8Z77-V LX2//16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz//Asus GTX770 Direct CUII OC 2GB//Corsair TX850W//SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD//Samsung 840 EVO 250GB//Seagate 1TB//ASUS Xonar D2//2x 1080p LCD's//Corsair M65 RGB/Isku
Taylorig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

A crossover cable will connect them for file transfers (or Age of Empires 2 LAN games ), but if you wanted more than that, buy a new computer.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Connecting them via Ethernet is just one of the considerations needed for clustering.

You need to have cluster middleware to handle the actual clustering, especially for non-identical machines. (It can be done, but it is a lot more tricky.) You also need to consider failure handling, i.e., what should happen to your data when one machine chokes and dies?

This will make for a good hobby project, great for learning. But if you want some computing power fast to get some work done, then you are better off buying a new computer.

distrACT -- an open community
● It helps to ask questions effectively
● Please join Server admins social group if you are into servers
dale is offline   Reply With Quote