Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Comuter reboots continuously

Oh yeah, typical "helpdesk" response - "RELOAD IT!"

*facepalm*

If it's XP and it's infected, there are far easier ways to combat a virus or spyware on a system that might be manifesting itself. If the system doesn't boot into safe mode (have you tried?) then maybe then, but as an outright answer, there are better ways to combat it.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

How do you know your power supply is fine? Can you test a different power supply to see if things are better. I wouldn't even try anything else until I could 100% verify a different power supply was tried.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Solid State Member

Thanks after opening it and looking i couldn't find that switch on the motherboard, but got into the bios and reset all to default then smelt some burning after some investigation i found it was coming from the power supply. now I've replaced the factory 180w with a 500w. Now it's working fine although straightaway when i enter the bios and look at how hot the processor is it starts off around 70 degrees than rises to just under 80 and stays between 77 - 79 degrees, i was just wondering if this temperature is too hot and whether to invest in a chassis fan.
Noob Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #14
Fully Optimized

Your temps are high average for a P4 of that speed. It wouldn't hurt to educate yourself on how to clean up a heatsink & fan, including how to re-apply using thermal compound. Chances are whatever was used initially or the last time it was worked on may have dried up. We have some older P4 3.0 GHz units at work and they'll do the same temps as you, and for a few of them (not all) If I clean the system insides up, get the heatsink nice and clean (compressed or canned air works fine) and then re-apply the heatsink with fresh compound, I've been able to drop idle temps by as much as 8C and load temps by as much as 4C.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote