Computer's gone kerput!! HELP...

posiview

Baseband Member
Just booted my Dell up and this error message was presented:

A Stop: c0000218 {Registry File failure} The registry Cannot Load The Hive (File): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software Error

I'm using XP.

I've done a search and found several posts that advise me to insert select the ‘Last known good configuration' option. Didn't work.

Also advised to insert XP CD and make changes wheh I get to the 'Welcome to Setup'. Problem is the above error message appears before the 'Welcome to Setup' menu!!

No changes have been made to the registry and the computer worked OK the last time it was used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

^Mike^ said:
how old is the computer?

2 years.

^Mike^ said:
Sounds like perhaps a corrupt registry. I forsee a reformat in your future.

Gutted as I haven't transfred my family video/pictures to external drive for a while!!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Raffaz said:
Read this mate and try the options, it sounds like you arent booting from your XP CD for the second method your trying, you need to change the boot order of the computer from the BIOS. If you are booting from the CD, then it will tell you to press a key to boot from CD
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

What do you mean by "If you are booting from the CD, then it will tell you to press a key to boot from CD"? I get the regisrty error message before I can do naything on the disc.

Thanks

You need to enter set up straight away. As soon as you get the black screen with the white writing press delete. I think you're letting it go too far.

The Sheep said:
You need to enter set up straight away. As soon as you get the black screen with the white writing press delete. I think you're letting it go too far.

I'm note sure what you mean by "Black screen with white writting"?? Have you got an image of this?

I get the Dell logo screen with F2 & F12 in top right cornor.

Then it goes into the "Safe mode", "Safe mode......." screen.

Then get Microsoft Windows XP screen.

This goes off then I get the "Registry File Failure"

I can't seem to get access to the XP disc.

If I don't fix this I'm in the dog house (literally) for Christmas as I have't copied my wife's photos to external drive for a while....

Back
Top Bottom