Computer won't turn on

bkovar

Solid State Member
Okay so I decided to do a bit of upgrading and get a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM on my computer and when i went to go turn it on it didn't boot up. Thinking it was a CPU or RAM problem I tested the motherboard with my older CPU and older RAM and it didn't boot up. Thinking it was a motherboard issue, I exchanged the motherboard for a different one. I installed everything into the case and nothing, although the motherboard LED lights up which I believe is a good sign.

I am lost and dunno what to do. I am thinking it could be a case issue with the power switch not working, although i find it odd for it to malfunction shortly after I get my new parts, or it could be a power supply issue, but I also find that odd because it was working with my older equipment and the LED on the motherboard lights up. Any ideas?

BTW the current parts and specs for my computer are in my signature. Thank you in advance!

What is the power supply you have and what are the specs of the old stuff you upgraded from?

Also, make sure you double check that everything is hooked up correctly, like the power switch which can be easy to get in the wrong place.

The power supply i have is a OCZ 500W, model number OCZ500SXS2 and my older CPU, Motherboard and RAM was a Phenom II 3.3 GHz CPU, Biostar TA890GXB HD Motherboard and Corsair 4GB 1066 RAM (two sticks)

Edit: and everything to the best of my knowledge is hooked up correctly, but i'll double check

to check it's not the power switch, get a house key.. and where your 2 pin power goes in, take that off(attached to the switch wire) and put the key across the metal pins, don't worry it won't break, it actually works :)

key: http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/CON1313.jpg

this:

images

Don't be scared.. I know exactly how power and electric works

You can put the key across any of the metal pins, just don't keep it on it if it turns on

Don't touch ANYTHING else with the key

What about the fuse in the plug? maybe it's almost dead

i'll try that when i get home. i went to go get lunch. i'll let you know if it works when i get back.

It's a slick trick I learnt lol, when I build them I normally test the power , I don't normally build them in the tower, I use a sponge to put the mobo on and plug everything in.

Have you tried that yet?

Try taking it OUT the tower and put it on something soft and none metal conductive.. I use soft sponge as it doesn't interfere with anything

Like this:

Caseless PC - YouTube

that's not me lol

The tower works also, the chassis side

alright well im about to try the key trick. should it be instant or do i have to hold it for some time until the power goes on in the case? if this doesn't work then i assume it's either the power supply, or maybe the CPU, but i dunno

Edit: well the key thing didn't work, so i suspect a faulty power supply, a CPU malfunction, or the universe just hates me lol

Edit 2: alright i tried a few things. first, i unplugged all the drives and tried to boot with nothing. then i took out all but one 4GB stick of RAM and tried to boot with nothing, then i unplugged the CPU fan (again nothing). finally, i took out the graphics card and (again) nothing. i'm suspecting the power supply cause i read that lights should still turn on if the CPU is fried or not there, but i just find it odd that it does this now when it was working fine earlier. I don't see what else could be wrong though.

alright well im about to try the key trick. should it be instant or do i have to hold it for some time until the power goes on in the case? if this doesn't work then i assume it's either the power supply, or maybe the CPU, but i dunno

Edit: well the key thing didn't work, so i suspect a faulty power supply, a CPU malfunction, or the universe just hates me lol

Edit 2: alright i tried a few things. first, i unplugged all the drives and tried to boot with nothing. then i took out all but one 4GB stick of RAM and tried to boot with nothing, then i unplugged the CPU fan (again nothing). finally, i took out the graphics card and (again) nothing. i'm suspecting the power supply cause i read that lights should still turn on if the CPU is fried or not there, but i just find it odd that it does this now when it was working fine earlier. I don't see what else could be wrong though.

last week I was watching a dvd before I go sleep on my pc and then before I doze off I'd turn the pc off.. as I did, I got up went work.. came back home.. pc turned on.. no image, just a black screen, I then tried onbored.. same problem, took it to bits.. cleaned it out, made sure everything was reset.. i then plugged it all in and then it didn't turn on.. the green light shown.. so I tried my other powerpack.. turns out that was 20pin, not the 24.. had to go maplin and buy a 580watt psu and fitted it and all is well now
I hope this is your problem

Sucks I know

Computer Starts: No Monitor Activity

I just finished assembling a new build on my computer, and it started up ok but nothing turned on on the display, nor was there any beeping from the speaker on the motherboard. I am stuck and dunno what to do. Here is the build:

AMD FX 3.6 GHz CPU
ASUS M5 A99X Evo Motherboard
ATX ILG-600 600W Power Supply
Zotac GeForce GT 520
16GB 1866 DDR3 RAM
1TB HDDs
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case

The case, hard drive and graphics card are all used from my last build, but everything else is new. Here is some information I have complied from me trying to trouble shoot what is wrong with it now:

There's a MemOK switch with a DRAM_LED light that if it lights up if the DIMM is incompatible with the motherboard and causes a system boot failure, and right now it's lit (even though i have 1866 RAM and the motherboard and CPU both allow that). I tried using the switches feature twice (to test boot setting to see if one works with the RAM) and it is still on. Also the 'stand by' power LED is still lit.

Nothbridge heatsink is warm to touch. CPU i can't really tell cause the heatsink i am using is a cooler master hyper 212+, a very powerful heatsink that barely even got warm in my other build (which worked btw). I might put in the stock heatsink to make sure it works though, but that'll be later.

I finally got it to beep afterwhile. It was one long beep, followed my two short beeps, repeated until I turned the system off. I decided to test for a faulty stick, and upon removing all but one RAM I got it to stop beeping but there was also no monitor activity and the DRAM_LED was still lit. Putting back in the three removed sticks also didn't re-activate the beeping...

Back
Top Bottom