computer won't start up or evan POST after new presott cpu installed!

mail.final

Beta member
Hello
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IC7-MAX3 Mobo - With latest BIOS update
1gig DUAL DDR400 RAM
FX5900 gfx
120 HDD
3.2ghz Prescott CPU ( Previous CPU = 2.8ghz P4 533FSB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
When i installed my new Prescott CPU and power up the computer, nothing happens..the motherboard lights turn on and the fans spin, but the monitor stays in stand-by mode!!
When i reinstalled my old CPU, the system started up fine again!

I updated my BIOS to the lastes verion "18" and have resest the BIOS settings via the jumper switch on the motherboard. I have also used the Artic
silver thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink, and made sure the cpu is seated correctly with the heatsink and fan correctly over it!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my computer won't start up, or evan go into POST??

Thank you in advance

it might be your FSB set wrong, see you mobo book to find out how to change it for your processor

Hi
Would i be wrong in thinking that the FSB is automatically set when a new cpu is installed??

Possibly.... Also, the new 3.2 requires A LOT MORE ENERGY!! Sounds also like it could be your Power SUpply is not nearly big enough to support it. Please, tell me how much your PSU is rated at..

Check that the graphics card is fully in. You may even have to remove the metal braket at the end of the card (As I had to once) to push it right in.

hi thanks for replying guys

My PSU is 550 WATT!

My gfx card is connected properly to the motherboard, and works okay..! :)

mail.final said:
hi thanks for replying guys

My PSU is 550 WATT!

My gfx card is connected properly to the motherboard, and works okay..! :)

That's more then enough. Umm.. the power supply may be faulty.. I'm hoping it is not a problem with the motherboard (that would suck). You have an extra 500-550 watt power supply laying around?

Yeah, that PSU is plenty large enough... Hmm,, check FSB settings in BIOS, make sure they are correct. That sounds like it might be the problem.

Hi
I will check the BIOS for the FSB options, but would this really course the pc to not boot up? At worst i would have thought that the wrong FSB setting would lead to the processor running slower..i could be wrong of course!?!?

Back
Top Bottom