computer wont start out of nowhere?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
okay well my friend called me and asked me whats wrong with her computer because it just wont turn on.. they say it's been off for a while since they dont have internet anymore.. the computer was bought in jan 2008.. its a compaq or w.e its called lol they are COMPLETELY computer retarded and i have no clue how to explain stuff over the phone... i was saying it could be something as simple as something not plugged in right or maybe the power supply went out.. they were flipping out like if they were gonna have to buy a new computer or something... yea.. of course... i was laughing a little bit while they were screaming haha so what are the things that it could be if its not really that old and was just sitting for like a month then tried to be turned on and it dident work?

(ps. i asked them to take off the side of the pc to see if there was anything unplugged, not thinking, and lmao there like ooo wats thisss omg its missing this!!!! what is this its missing this thing where a chip goes or something hahahaha of course it was a extra pci slot lmao n the bad thing about it is they live 400 miles away and im not going to go see them for either, 2 weeks or like 2 months.. something around there)

my guess's
power supply
something came loose inside some miraculous way
somethings not plugged in right
the switch on the back is not turned "on" hahaha

Ok first thing I need more info:

Any lights at all?
Any noises at all?
Do they have a UPS or surge strip?
Loose connection?
PWR supply swith toggled?

Some PC's if they have no power for sometime the bios battery dies, could be dead bios battery?

Could be a plug. Usually if the 24-pin and the power button is plugged in the computer will turn on, but won't POST without the CPU power plug.

they said nothing at all turns on, not exactly sure where it plugs in at. they said "the screen turns on but the computer doesnt!" hah

Looks like they'll need somebody nearby to have a look at the thing. It's near impossible to help somebody over the phone who has no idea about the inner workings of a computer.

that's what i tried telling her sister but she was like " o your no help you dont know anything " hahaha o well i guess i'll probably have to look at it for them or something when i just go over there.. its not like they have internet anyways =P

sounds like its not plugged in to me, or the pc has a switch on the back which is off. cant imagine it would just die for no reason, especially since they dont exactly sound like hardcore users.

Back
Top Bottom